What's new
What's new

broken ballcrank and shaft

benchracer1

Aluminum
I have a 1940ish 13 inch south bend lathe with the taper attachment. During our move the the crosslide ballcrank and the shaft that the ballcrank attaches to were broken. it appears to be an intermediate shaft between the crank and screw. Anybody have one availible or have any idea where to look? also what is the proper name for that part? Steve

Still having no luck. I tried leatherman (ted). No luck. Does anybody know of anybody parting out a 13 inch lathe with taper attacment?

I have a line on a shaft for a small dial. How difficult is the conversion to a large dial. I believe I have the large dial

When you have your replacement parts in hand, stick the short shaft of crossfeed screw the dial assembly and see if it is too short od too long. The shaft OD should be the same.

There were different configurations, some had thrust washers some not, and that could be the difference. Maybe you need to make or add a thrust washer or spacer, maybe its just right, or maybe shaft is too short. . . Hard to know till you have parts in hand. Either way, its all doable, some might just need a little more work.

I'm not sure how to post a link apparently. The Brazed repair unit is working well. I would just like to find a replacement shaft eventually. If anybody needs a picture send me a email or message...Steve

Well I was lucky. Took a few months but I found a complete shaft and crank assembly on Ebay. After it was broken it was just one of those things that bothered me every time I walked by the lathe. All behind me now.

Back