UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNielsen View Post
    As the second owner, I am lucky enough to have the original packing list and shipping information for this 1930 11 inch, which was originally sold through dealer C.B. Burns Machinery Co. in Chicago on April 24, 1930. The motor has a chain drive, not the later silent V belt drive. The only parts missing were the large face plate and the adjustable thread cutting stop. I have since been able to obtain a correct (although not serial matching) face plate. The lathe is painted the typical South Bend blue/greenish grey but underneath that paint, and in areas hidden from view, it is black. It looks as though it might have been black but repainted at the factory after it had been assembled but before it's original sale. Does anyone know when South Bend stopped using black? I have the original centers and the center adapter for the spindle but don't know what type of collet would have been used on a lathe of this type. According to the South Bend Series O spec sheet, the largest collet it would take was 17/32" but the type is not given. I also have no information on the required collet adapter and spindle nose protector specs other than the spindle thread is 1-5/8 8 tpi. The Westinghouse 1/2 HP three phase motor is fully enclosed, while most pictures I've seen show open frame motors. I have no reason to believe it is not the original motor. Any info would be appreciated.
    Some of the parts were already disassembled when the first picture was taken. Moving this by myself was entertaining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moving-day-1.jpg   moving-day-3.jpg   lathe.jpg   headstock.jpg   adding-wheels.jpg  

2. Likes clay27bsouthbend, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the parts were already disassembled when the first picture was taken. Moving this by myself was entertaining.
    The color as delivered and the hidden color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colors.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Beautiful 11. Thanks for sharing pics.

John
    Another 11 owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't wait to see that old girl cleaned up. Please don't put any more weight on the legs with the casters like that. You'll break the legs, add some wood and then attach casters. Do you have the model number lathe? The thru hole looks large for a 11".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by clay27bsouthbend View Post
    Can't wait to see that old girl cleaned up. Please don't put any more weight on the legs with the casters like that. You'll break the legs, add some wood and then attach casters. Do you have the model number lathe? The thru hole looks large for a 11".
    The lathe is a 1930 Series O 384S.

The casters (rated 200 lbs each) were only used to move the bed outside. The path was too narrow to use the motor hoist. The lathe had to go up one small step of about 4 inches, which involved jacking the legs on one end to the level of the step and then sliding 4 inch concrete blocks under them and rolling the lathe until the other end got to the step, then repeating the jacking and blocks. Once outside, I used the motor hoist to hold the bed while removing the drip pan, legs and bench pedestals. I got lucky because my car got recalled to replace the airbag and they gave me a van as a loaner. Perfect timing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4738.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You lucky dog. Mine was in the basement of a tight small house at least it wasn’t a bigger lathe. We just unbolted the legs and then carried the bed and headstock and all up the stairs and out to the truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark and Ron keep us posted on your progress. Mark I see the 384S in a 1933 Southbend catalog lasted as 5 1/2' bed. What color are you thinking? Black or as shipped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by clay27bsouthbend View Post
    Mark and Ron keep us posted on your progress. Mark I see the 384S in a 1933 Southbend catalog lasted as 5 1/2' bed. What color are you thinking? Black or as shipped.
    Black. I like the way the restored lathe on the South Bend site came out.

10. Likes clay27bsouthbend liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your caster rating is ok. I think what clay was saying is that the nature of the leg casting design is to bolt the leg to the the floor. They weren't designed/ engineered to take the stress that a caster puts on it. It works like a lever prying sideways on the bottom flange as you move it.
    Especially if a small object stubs it as your rolling

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    Your caster rating is ok. I think what clay was saying is that the nature of the leg casting design is to bolt the leg to the the floor. They weren't designed/ engineered to take the stress that a caster puts on it. It works like a lever prying sideways on the bottom flange as you move it.
    Especially if a small object stubs it as your rolling
    Thanks, I got that. It's why the lathe was stripped down to the bed before any attempt was made to move it and the path was cleared of any obstructions. It rolled very smoothly and with little effort. Be assured, I have no intention of leaving casters on it! Eventually it will get leveled and bolted to the floor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If anyone needs a HS taper blank or adapter for their 11 I just started a thread on the south bend forum called “anyone interested in SB 11 HS taper blanks”

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brodytonelotti View Post
    If anyone needs a HS taper blank or adapter for their 11 I just started a thread on the south bend forum called “anyone interested in SB 11 HS taper blanks”
    Anybody have a picture of the adapter to use in the spindle for the #2 Morse taper?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t... hopefully somebody does. I’d like to see the elusive creature.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello all. I bought an 11 in SB last summer. Laid off this winter and starting to learn how to use it some what. Mine is a 32 BB bench top. I've got the card from South Bend on it. Shipped in March of 32 I think. it was a display model. Junior apron no power feed. I think it is a series o, single wall apron.bought from a good friend of mine,who bought from the son of the guy who bought it in 55. SAT under a tarp from 55 till about 13. Never made a chip in that time! Want to upgrade the apron, and add qcgb. Would a single tumbler box off of an early heavy 10 work? What about apron?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trying to figure out how to post a pic. Serial number is 49306

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

19. Likes clay27bsouthbend, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The center from that thread is the Jarno at .0500" taper....not saying it's right.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    The center from that thread is the Jarno at .0500" taper....not saying it's right.
    The jarno taper and MT3 are within a couple thou based on taper per inch. That being said... Miller Machine used to make them for the 11 but do not anymore. The ones they made were an enlarged MT3

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MT3 is .05019 taper per inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes, I was only commenting on that thread.

Morse's inability to hold a consistent taper screwed us all.