Calling all South Bend 11's - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question

Can one of you 11 inch owners tell me the diameter of the tailstock spindle and the size of the TS screw thread? Please
    TIA
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ted
    While I no longer have the quill or screw I do recall one interesting thing. The quill had a space for a Morse taper tang with knock out slot.

Denny C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ted here is some dimensions off my 1922 11" model 27-b, srl#27254 lathe. 1.190" dia. X 6" length, bottom key .190", top grove .090". I find it interesting that in the HTRAL book, 1922 edition. The part number is #201 Tail Stock Spindle. But mine is stamped #54. I'am wondering if that is fitted to my lathe. I see that some main parts are stamped with the last three numbers of my lathe.
    Clay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3767.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by clay27bsouthbend View Post
    Ted here is some dimensions off my 1922 11" model 27-b, srl#27254 lathe. 1.190" dia. X 6" length, bottom key .190", top grove .090". I find it interesting that in the HTRAL book, 1922 edition. The part number is #201 Tail Stock Spindle. But mine is stamped #54. I'am wondering if that is fitted to my lathe. I see that some main parts are stamped with the last three numbers of my lathe.
    Clay
    Clay,
    I'm sure you will find the same number stamped on your TS base and top somewhere. That would be a match mark.
    Is everybody's 11" TS spindle OD 1.190" ?? The reason I ask is that I have a TS spindle that I don't know what it fits. It has 1.125" OD and, I think, a 3/8" acme thread. It sure looks like a South Bend
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dconway00 View Post
    Ted
    While I no longer have the quill or screw I do recall one interesting thing. The quill had a space for a Morse taper tang with knock out slot.

Denny C.
    Interesting ... Was it original??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBLatheman View Post
    Clay,
    I'm sure you will find the same number stamped on your TS base and top somewhere. That would be a match mark.
    Is everybody's 11" TS spindle OD 1.190" ?? The reason I ask is that I have a TS spindle that I don't know what it fits. It has 1.125" OD and, I think, a 3/8" acme thread. It sure looks like a South Bend
    Ted
    Mine measured out at 1.187" (1 3/16") and it's a '39. Sorry, I didn't have a chance to look at the thread.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1939 11x 60 84-b

I had to modify a 9" cross slide and compound because I was unable to find the 11" parts needed. It works but I can't use lock nuts on the gib screws and the oiler hole was cut in half.

I also had to make my own motor and countershaft mount.

I still need a thread chasing dial and carriage lock. Do the heavy 10 dials fit? Still looking for an 11" cross slide and compound if anyone has one.

Jason Sessums

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is some attachments from a 1922 edition of "How to Run a Lathe".
    Thank You Steve Wells!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0001.jpg   scan0002.jpg   scan0003.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is that an N apron

Jason,

Is that an N style apron? Here is a some documentation on the N series apron. http://www.wswells.com/data/bulletin...200/bl_200.pdf. If I blow the link there are two documents on the N apron on the Wells site from John Odor for bulletin 100 and 200. It says on page 6 of Bltn 200 the Automatic Safety Interlock stops the longitudinal feed from being engaged while the half nuts are engaged. Does your apron stop both actions from happening together? My SBL 1931 11N does not. I can run both longitudinal feed and half nuts at the same time. Maybe the interlock came later. Thank you for sharing the pics.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default It is a N style.

John

Yes it's a N style. I am not able to engage the half nut and longitudinal feed at the same time.

I got the apron from eBay and don't know what year it was made.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Apron pic

By chance do you have pics of the back side of the apron? Maybe we can figure out what was added to stop the movement. My lathe is torn apart. I would love to see pics of the inner side of your apron. This is the first N apron that I have seen on this forum since I joined several years ago. Did you tear your apron apart when you painted? Any advice? I have the head and the apron left to clean and paint. I think my apron matches to a tee. The N series was only used for a few years. My lathe was not bought until 1935 based on the SB card.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Apron picture

Ok John, heres my apron.

Here is the pin that pushes against the half nut, restricting its engagement when longitudinal feed is engaged. This is probably what is missing on yours.

Here is the pin pushed back when the half nut and cross feed are engaged.

I bet at some point the half nut was removed and that pin was lost or removed. The pin or the half nut may also be worn allowing the dual engagement.
    If you need, I can remove the pin and give you some measurements so you can make one.

I couldn't get the whole image of the back side but its exactly like this..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pics of N apron

My apron does not quite match. I have an oil tray with wicks that are filled from the left oil port. The mechanicals look about the same. I have the same pin. It fits in the half nut indent. Maybe all of the years of grease and grime is hanging something up. When I get a chance I will clean it up and try it again. I added a few pics in case someone sees some differences. Maybe the plunger is different???

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plunger looks the same. Perhaps there is supposed to be a ball and/or a spring to ride in the shaft detent, which is now missing?

allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sessumaniac View Post
    1939 11x 60 84-b

Jason Sessums
    Jason,

I'm curious as to the way wiper retainers and whether they are stock. My 11" is also a '39 (Model 411A) and the retainers I have are just flat "V" shaped pieces of brass with tabs bent to hold the "V" shaped wipers in place. Yours looks much more effective in keeping the ways clean.

You can see the new felts I put on (sorta) in this pic:

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 11 wipers

Ron,

My 11 wiper's match Jason's. They look like cast brass. I shot a few photos for you. I wiped one down with a bit of wd-40. There is a person on ebay selling rectangle wiper felt for a sb11. From what I can tell you tuck a bit of wiper under the keeper. The rest rides on the vee.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. Here are some pics of my wipers.

I am really curious now as to why mine differs so much. Did someone in the past replace the "stock" wipers with those off of a 10L or did SB use different ones on different models A, B, or C? Dang, this is why it would be nice to find some detailed information on the 11"s.

Oh, and just because I have it, here's an extra pic of the cross slide.

Two questions regarding the cross slide. The first is, anyone know what exactly should go in that empty hole? Size/thread?

The second question, is there any kind of "stop" built in to the slide to keep it from becoming dis-engaged when you move it too far to the back side? If I move it too far past center mine will become unattached to the screw and is a real pain to get it engaged again.

Thanks,

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ron here is your answer on the open hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0004.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent!

Thanks much Clay. That is a nice addition to the "personal knowledge base". Now that I know what it needs it won't bother me as such but...

On the other hand, due to my tool "OCD", now I have to figure out how to make a replica of that setup. It will definitely be very handy.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wipers

Ron
    I have an extra used set of the above wipers. They are used and a little beat up but if you want em, I'll put them in the mail for you.

Tubalcain just made a thread stop for a sb 9". Check it out on YouTube.

Jason.