Calling all South Bend 11's - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by clay27bsouthbend View Post
    OKay you owners of the 11's. Lets see if we can make this the go to thread for us! Everybody wants a heavy 10 and the 9's have shear numbers. We 11 owners are the redheaded step-childern at the family reunion. Nobody seems to know much about us.
    If you have pictures or helpful hints. Let's try to put them here in one spot. I'll post some pictures and story of my unrestored 1922 later.
    This seems like a good Idea I think I may have the real red headed step child, I dont have an 11 mine is a 15, If its ok Id like to try your idea. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sessumaniac View Post
    Ron
    I have an extra used set of the above wipers. They are used and a little beat up but if you want em, I'll put them in the mail for you.

Tubalcain just made a thread stop for a sb 9". Check it out on YouTube.

Jason.
    Jason,

Thank you very much for the offer but I think I'll probably just keep using the setup that's on there. Seems to be getting the job done and "If it ain't broke..." There's got to be a reason that the heavy 10"s use this kind of wiper. I'll be pondering that for a while at least.

Super, great, kind offer! Really is appreciated.

Thanks again. Oh, and I'll check out the Tubalcain vid (love that guy), thanks.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dennis thanks for the parts you sent to me. What I'm not going to use I'm passing on to Jason. This forum is great for all the helping people. The one common goal is saving the old american iron.
    Thank you everbody for the pictures, parts and offers of help. Keep them coming.
    Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No connection, but I saw a 11" steadyrest listed on e-bay incase anybody has to have one. It is listed for $225 buy it now. Seems a little steep to me, but luckily I have one.
    On that note of lathe parts. What would you put on a wish list. I myself would like new half nuts and a adjustable stop for screwcutting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sessumaniac View Post
    I still need a thread chasing dial and carriage lock. Do the heavy 10 dials fit? Still looking for an 11" cross slide and compound if anyone has one.

Jason Sessums
    Jason, sent you a PM about parts.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im in the process of restoring an early 20's 11 south bend and Ive got question in regards to the felt oilers. After taking apart the carriage i have yet to run across any of the felt pieces, the lathe also seems to be lacking the keepers that were disused earlier in this post. The felt oil wick that i have come across is located on the silent chain drive. The lathe has not been involved in any industrial work it has very few hours on it. Is it typical for a lathe not to have any oil wicks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Top Gun
    I'm restoring my 1922 lathe and haven't got to the headstock and carriage yet. So I can't say much about the wicks, but I don't think the older ones had much in the way of felt oilers. I'll keep you posted what I find. Have you looked at steve wells website? It's a must look, also you can see what year your lathe is by the serial number.
    Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clay

Thanks, so far ive only gotten to the tailstock and the carriage (which is spread out all over the garage). I have been on the website; i didn't see any thing regarding the felt oilers. My lathes serial number has an over stamped on it so it was either made during the beginning or at the the end of 1922.

josh

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Top Gun:
    If you get the headstock off the bed, or crawl under it, You will be able to see the bed casting date. It is located under the headstock, in between the ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We just aquired a Southbend size 11 this week. Unloaded it today. Looks like it's in pretty good shape other than the crosslide shaft they bent loading it at the auction. Also broke the little cast iron cover that protects the same screw. I am not too familiar with Southbends. After some scrubbing we found the following info on tags: 16" x 7' catalogue# 17D Ser#102873 current 1038. Any info would be helpful. The ways look great. It was in a old platting shop for many years. Nasty doesn't describe this machine but I have it pretty clean now. A couple more handles missing. I need a manual for this machine.
    We also got a 21" Royersford camelback drill, Wells 8M bandsaw and a 1150 Powermatic drill press. Plenty of cleaning and we need 3 phase power but we have some good machines to work with.
    thanks
    jesse

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sound like a nice haul of new toys! I do have a question though and that's what leads you to believe that it's an 11" lathe? Unless I missed something (happens often ) you say that according to the tags it's a 16" with 7' bed. In any case Steve Wells maintains a great site for South Bend information The SBL Workshop - Home There is a section with serial numbers that should help you date the lathe as well as other resources.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarnage View Post
    Sound like a nice haul of new toys! I do have a question though and that's what leads you to believe that it's an 11" lathe? Unless I missed something (happens often ) you say that according to the tags it's a 16" with 7' bed. In any case Steve Wells maintains a great site for South Bend information The SBL Workshop - Home There is a section with serial numbers that should help you date the lathe as well as other resources.

-Ron
    I just read on the tag on the bed that this is a Size 11. I misread this thread but these lathes look closer to mine than anything else I have found. I will check ou the serial number thread. These machines were still being used in very old maintenance shop in Minnesota until a few months ago. We need to repair the damages from the move, rearrange the shop and level then get a rotary phase converter or VFD's so to get past the 3 phase issue.
    Looking forward to learning about these. Never ran anything this old before. The shops I have worked in had much newer heavier equipment (oilfield and industrial job shops). This is a great forum.
    thanks
    jesse

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fair enough. How about posting some pictures of what you acquired? Lots of knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarnage View Post
    Fair enough. How about posting some pictures of what you acquired? Lots of knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help.

-Ron
    Ron
    I haven't posted pics before but here goes. I welcome any advice I can get.
    thanks
    jesse100_0862.jpg100_0865.jpg100_0866.jpg100_0875.jpg100_0876.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jckett View Post
    Ron
    I haven't posted pics before but here goes. I welcome any advice I can get.
    thanks
    jesse100_0862.jpg100_0865.jpg100_0866.jpg100_0875.jpg100_0876.jpg

more pics
    100_0879.jpg100_0896.jpg100_0897.jpg100_0899.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's definitely a 16" lathe. I'm not sure if that U.S. Air Conditioning Corp. is a re-seller or the buyer of the lathe but the numbers from it might not mean a whole lot. I would guess that yours is roughly the same age as mine (1939) as it also has the single tumbler on the quick change box. The actual South Bend serial number may be stamped on the front way on the end by the tailstock. Once you have that it should be a little easier to find information on the lathe.

Something also looks to be up with your quick change gear box. At least on mine the lever is above the level of the tray:

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ron
    It looks like the lever is missing on mine. There is a pin or shaft below the tray but nothing else. I wonder if the Southbend ser# is underneath the US air conditioning tag? The tag is below the leadscrew and the southbend logo tag is above the feedscrew. I may pop that tag off to take a look tomorrow?
    thanks
    jesse

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jesse Looks like nice big old girl. If they could only talk and tell us what life they lead. On the serial number look on the top right between the ways. You may want to repost your pictures on your own thread so others may see it and offer help. Some people may skip over this threads on 11's expecting to see only 11's and not see your neat old lathe.
    Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clay
    I will look for the ser# tomorrow. Thanks I will repost. I am glad you think this is a neat old machine.
    thanks
    jesse

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jckett View Post
    Clay
    I will look for the ser# tomorrow. Thanks I will repost. I am glad you think this is a neat old machine.
    thanks
    jesse
    Yeah, we're all a little "off" like that, but in a good way.

-Ron