Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ser#

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarnage View Post
    Yeah, we're all a little "off" like that, but in a good way.

-Ron
    Well I just found the ser# stamped in the ways and it matches the tag from us air conditioning (what company that was?) 102873 DWW and below that it looks like JAN.
    Last edited by jckett; 03-25-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jesse looking at Steve Wells "South Bend" site, it looks like your lathe was made in 1940. I think the DWW and JAN are something to do with the war departments at that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks,
    I was just going thru the ser# list. Looks like you are correct. I also sent the ser# info to Steve Wells so he can add it to this list. Now I need to start looking for a few parts and clean.
    thanks
    jesse

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jckett View Post
    Thanks,
    I was just going thru the ser# list. Looks like you are correct. I also sent the ser# info to Steve Wells so he can add it to this list. Now I need to start looking for a few parts and clean.
    thanks
    jesse
    Here is a pretty good resource for parts PLAZA MACHINERY,USED MACHINERY, METALWORKING MACHINERY, WOODWORKING MACHINERY I'm told he isn't always the quickest to return messages as he's slowing down a bit but still a good guy to deal with. You can also start up a new thread in the SB forum saying you're looking for help with a 16". You may be surprised just how much help you get.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, I'm new here.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up my first lathe, a South Bend 11. It appears to be in pristine condition and comes with a lot of accessories. It is Catalog #368-B serial# 3210N. I have never operated a metal lathe so I am headed into uncharted waters, at least for me.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I can email pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_3797.jpgWelcome JMM
    Post some photos here and we can give you some advice or point you in direction. Read some of the old threads. you can learn alot.
    On another note does everbodies lathe have a casting date? On striping and painting my 1922 lathe I see the date on both sides of the bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good question. I'll have to look tomorrow when I'm there.

-Ron

Update: Yes, I have something in the casting I just can't make out exactly what. Doesn't seem like it's an actual "date" though. If I have time I'll try and do a charcoal rubbing of it or some such.

-Ron
    Last edited by MetalCarnage; 03-27-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will a heavy 10 cross slide fit the 11?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Galane:
    Sorry,,, The heavy 10 slide is about 1/2 the size of the one on the 11. It will not fit. Below is a pic of a Heavy 10 Slide and compound sitting next to an 11" slide and compound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0135.jpg  
    Last edited by powderhorn; 04-24-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On Jan. 7, I listed my 11" South Bend for sale, I guess my price was too high as I got no replies. There are pictures there it is a model 333-A Mfg. 1934 overhead drive. if interested move QUICK with an offer as I plan to take it to an auction this week.
    D E Major

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went to WSWELLS site and scrolled the serial numbers. The oldest 11" inch I saw was #846 year 1910. The newest was 106,469 date 1-17-1941. May have been a special built lathe for the war effort. Go to Wells site and read the notes. The next newest lathe was 97,124 date 1940, model 111-z umd.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 1939 R Series 11" x 4' #111A. I would like to clean/paint/rebuild it but I'm concerned that parts (if needed) will be difficult to find and expensive. What do you guys think? Wait until I can find a heavy 10 or restore this old lady? I'm also curious as to why this lathe has no threading indicator on it. Anyone know?

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sgriggs View Post
    I have a 1939 R Series 11" x 4' #111A. I would like to clean/paint/rebuild it but I'm concerned that parts (if needed) will be difficult to find and expensive. What do you guys think? Wait until I can find a heavy 10 or restore this old lady? I'm also curious as to why this lathe has no threading indicator on it. Anyone know?

Scott
    It depends. What kind of shape is it in? Parts are difficult to find but alot of things, gears, drive screw, etc. can be fabricated if necessary. If it's decent shape and mostly complete it may still be a good candidate for restoring. I've been running my '39 11" SB for a number of years now just as I bought it. I will fix it up when I'm not working on projects I need it for. If you have a taper attachment on it and decide to sell or part out, we need to talk.

Finding or making a replacement for the threading dial shouldn't be much trouble. I think you could use/adapt one from a 10" (or even a 9" or 13") if you didn't just make one from scratch.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

P.S. Pics of your 11"?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a photo. It did not have a taper attachment.

uploadfromtaptalk1388776555791.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I can see, that looks like it was well taken care of. Lacking any major problems, cracked bed/skirt, trashed spindle, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to fix that one up. If all the major parts are in decent condition you really don't have to worry about finding parts.

The one thing that might make a difference in whether to go with the 11" or find a "Heavy 10" would be the final use you have for the machine. If you are planning to do work that requires using the through hole in the headstock, gun smithing, etc. the 11" is a little limited in that the through hole is only 7/8". Other than that it's a nice machine.

Darn! Guess I'll have to keep looking for that ellusive taper attachment.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello everybody, I am new to the South Bend site, and until recently knew nothing about South Bend Lathes, however, I recently acquired a South Bend 11 with a long bed, it looks to be in excess of 48 inches between centers. Painted black and grimy and dusty with a little surface rust. Two face plates, 4 jaw chuck, follow rest, steady rest, and vise for milling operations on the lathe, many lathe dogs and assorted lathe accessories. Hmmm, I think I should start the cleaning and oiling operation. I have never loaded pictures on this site so I have to figure that out. I hope to learn a lot about this particular lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Robles View Post
    Hello everybody, I am new to the South Bend site, and until recently knew nothing about South Bend Lathes, however, I recently acquired a South Bend 11 with a long bed, it looks to be in excess of 48 inches between centers. Painted black and grimy and dusty with a little surface rust. Two face plates, 4 jaw chuck, follow rest, steady rest, and vise for milling operations on the lathe, many lathe dogs and assorted lathe accessories. Hmmm, I think I should start the cleaning and oiling operation. I have never loaded pictures on this site so I have to figure that out. I hope to learn a lot about this particular lathe.
    Pictures are necessary and more information. I never heard of a South Bend 11" with 48" between centers.(maybe it's 48"" bed length)??
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At this point, without measuring, it is more likely the bed length is 48". I used the term between centers without measuring it. I saw a tag that said it had a 5 1/2 foot bed.
    Last edited by Robert Robles; 01-20-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scott nice 111-a lathe. Glad to see a few more 11's showing up here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First try to post photos of SB 11 with 5 1/2 foot bed. Covered with dust, allegedly early 1920's vintage, but will confirm when cleaned up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb-01.jpg   sb-1.jpg   sb-2.jpg   sb-7.jpg   sb-11.jpg