What's new
What's new

Camlock Conversion

DrHook

Hot Rolled
I have a 1947 14-1/2" South Bend with the threaded spindle nose. How does one convert it to a D1-4 as shown? Is it the entire spindle? Thanks

Attachments

• 20201117_091959.jpg
    20201117_091959.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20201117_092008.jpg
    20201117_092008.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 103
Thanks!
I have access to all that stuff I can borrow, but my own is threaded...
Where does one find a spindle? I did a quick search on MSC, but didn't find anything.

Where does one find a spindle?

Make one. Your existing spindle provides most of the detail - then you look in ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses for the rest of the detail

Stock has final finished OD of 4.625" on business end if you are after D1-4"

Great idea, John- I have not removed mine from my lathe, so I ass-sumed there would be some sort of hocus-pocus involved that would be beyond my machines, and it seems as though it is hardened, but my oven is just deep enough... 4140, and 36-40 RC? Are the allen bolts in this one some sort of retainer for the camlocks? I removed them and the springs under them, but can't get anything else to fall out or move.
20201117_092008.jpg

Kind of nice if you have one to take apart just for looking at.

B5.9 says there is a DETENT PLUNGER that has to come out after springs are out.

Maybe a skinny magnet?

4140, and 36-40 RC?

Probably fine - but do some reading on in process thermal processing - be ashamed to do all this work and have the finished spindle have a crook in it

Also give thought to those six fancy bores in a face of a piece that isn't SHORT

Probably fine - but do some reading on in process thermal processing - be ashamed to do all this work and have the finished spindle have a crook in it

Apologies for being slightly off topic here. But I just recently started looking at annealing, hardening and such of tool steels, and maybe stainless. I generally read till my eye bleed :D, but I got probably a zillion questions still. Any suggestions for materials, or where to post such ? Purchase a furnace, or use a local outfit ?

Tex- I am learning the "hard way", no pun intended... :)
I got hired for this job where some of the parts I make have to be heat treated, so I had to figure it out. The previous Machinist was available for consult, and a couple books I found on the shelf have helped to fill in the blanks. John is correct about the possibility of warping a long, thin part, so I'll probably just watch e-bay for now... :)20201118_075751.jpg

Make a spindle? That isn't a job for the feint of heart.

IIRC, the original spindles were case hardened from alloy steel, then ground and polished, then superfinshed to a smoothness of 5 micro-inches (0.000005"). Good luck getting anything like that in a home shop.

You would be better served waiting for a machine to come up with your desired spindle and selling your current model.

Back