What's new
What's new

Can I just use 2 v belts on my 16" instead of 4

leod

Aluminum
I am switching to a larger motor and shaft and the new pulley will be a problem due to the much larger shaft dia. Do I really need four belts, or will two do.

You have all those belts because the pulley is so small in diameter, there is not enough belt contact area, you need all 4 for sure if you are putting a bigger motor on it. You can turn the motor shaft down to work with your old pulley. I have had to do it a few times to put a new motor on an old machine. Once I shortened the whole motor. I have never had a problem with any shaft I turned down. It's on an old sb, not like its loaded to the max 24 / 7

First, without knowing some of the facts and data, assuming he needs 4 belts is silly.
What size are the belts?
What was the HP
What is the HP of the new motor?
What are the pulley sizes?

Most always in a multi belt setup there is a large overload factor.
Most lathes hardly ever get taxed to full motor HP.

With this above data, a fair and reasonable determination can be assessed as to
the power transmission capability of the 2 belts you propose, and the potential for sucess determined.

Really depends on how heavy you cut...
When I replaced the belts on my 17" turnado's I put 2 on instead of 4 on purpose... The thought was, If someone gets too crazy the 2 belts should slip far easier than 4.
I'm not sure where the limit is, I turned some 10" pipe the other day, fairly heavy cuts, no slips. In 3 years I've never seen a slip. Turn, thread, knurl, drill 1-1/2" diameter... Nothing.
If you are going to cut super heavy, yeah, you need the extra belts. But my use doesn't push the limits so 2 have been fine.

YMMV

This document goes into great detail about v belt power transmission.

http://www.c-rproducts.com/downloads/pdfs/Industrial_vbelt_drives_design _guide.pdf

I have the same machine, I had belt slippage problems with 3 belts and 1.5 HP He is putting a 3hp motor on it. The motor pulley is 2.0 dia., driving about a 10" dia. pulley. With about 8" or 10" shaft centers. The belts probably only contact the pulley for about 90 - 100 degrees at most. He needs all 4, They should be a matched length set available from any good industrial supplier. This is first hand experience talking, not guessing.

That's about what I thought, I am putting in a 3hp and will be working it hard. I hate having to put in a larger pulley, but I really don't want to turn down my motor shaft.Going from 3/4 to 1 1/8 is a big jump, There would only be .110" left after boring my pulley to 1 1/8" and it does not have a set screw on a boss beside the grooves. It is steel ,so I could weld one on there, but I don't know about three hp and a 1/4" set screw. After two hours of looking I have not been able to find anything close on ebay. Three groove are rare and four, nope. I am sure I could get a 2 1/2 from a pulley company, for a price. It looks like I will start figuring out my angles and widths to make one. Since it is my first pulley, that will probably add two days to my motor swap.

Any reason that two 2 groove pulleys side by side with the set screw bosses on both ends wouldn't work? I suppose I could even braze them together, but I don't really see the need for that. Sure would save me a lot of time, and it $16.00 apiece and expedited shipping it would be worth it to me. I am not embarrassed to admit that I sometimes buy things that other people have made.

The original 4 belt pulley cant be bored out for larger shaft, or bored out and sleeved with a hub for larger shaft?
Would be easier than dicking with turning the motor shaft and risk messing up something in the motor.

Seems if engineers of machinery thought for a second that two was better than four that's how they would have done it
and saved the cost of using 4 belts versus 2.

The original 4 belt pulley cant be bored out for larger shaft, or bored out and sleeved with a hub for larger shaft?
Would be easier than dicking with turning the motor shaft and risk messing up something in the motor.

Seems if engineers of machinery thought for a second that two was better than four that's how they would have done it
and saved the cost of using 4 belts versus 2.

If you bored his standard pulley you would have a stack of rings, the side of each shiv.

You might consider using larger pulleys on the new 3HP motor (more contact area, as Moonlight notes) and adding a VFD. You'd want to check, but a pair of v-belts with sufficient pulley contact might handle that power. There's also likely no reason you couldn't go back to 4 sheaves with the somewhat larger pulleys.

The VFD on a 3 phase motor would be a pricey addition, but it adds a great deal of convenience, ease of working around some chatter issues, and maybe a lower low (though low torque, given the larger pulleys) and mostly likely a higher high end up to whatever your bearings can handle.

I just bought two 2.5" double groove pulleys that already have 1 1/8 bore. They had the size selection on the ebay add for dia. and bore. I already figured I was going to use the larger pulley situation to justify a VFD. Gotta finish paying off the other two first. It is $260 for a teco. You can get a huanyang for about a $100 but I don't think I will waste the time and money. Glad I did not pull the motor out of the lathe before I tested my motor I got on ebay, looks all shiny new and the bearings howl like a coyote. They even took the placard off and taped off the zirks before giving it the ebay special spray paint rebuild. Gonna cost him big for two way shipping. I guess now I start a thread, or look up one on replacing bearings on a baldor 182T

Back