What's new
What's new

Can someone help identify this steady rest?

Robert Shimko

Plastic
When I acquired my 1939 South Bend 9" workshop lathe, it came with many accessories.
There was a follower rest that had the telescoping brass fingers and knobs seized up tighter than I could budge. I had to remove(with vertical mill) the brass fingers and one of the tubes that they ride in. It now works well.

I also acquired a steady rest which also showed all the corrosion that one would expect after sitting in a damp farmhouse basement for 35 years.

After looking at it closely, it became apparent that it was not designed to fit the South Bend 9" lathe. From the bottom (where it sitts on the bed) to the center it is 6 inches, so I assume it was for a 12" swing lathe.

Some interesting things about this steady rest;
-The moveable, top jaw is made of cast brass or bronze. The lower section is cast iron.
-This steady rest appears to ride on two "V" ways, not the standard 1 "V" and 1 flat.
-Also, the clamp to attach it to the ways is missing, but would be an easy fabrication.

So, can anyone tell me what lathe the steady rest would fit? I have seached the internet and cannot find any with two "V's" on the bottom.
Thanks in advance for any help.
steady rest.jpg

With two vee's on the bottom, probably is for a older American lathe is my guess. There are a few older manufactures that did put the two vee on the bottom so you could use it in either direction, but long since dropped. Suggest you post this in the antique machinery forum and I bet you'll get a quick answer to your question. Ken

That steady probably came from a lathe with four vee ways.Probably built around 1900 or before.It rode on the inner two bedways just like the more modern ones ride on a vee and a flat.There are pictures of these machines on the net, dont start looking at them unless you have some spare time.

The steady rest for my 1888 Lodge & Davis has a v on one side and a flat on the other. The flat actually sits on top of a v on the bed. You would think it would have had a v on both sides of the steady.

Back