What's new
What's new

Can someone help me identify this lathe model number C9W

Mosin Nagant

Plastic
I came across a South Bend lathe on facebook with the model number C9W and catalog number 515-Y. The person is asking $600 for it. First of all is it worth $600? Secondly what are the capabilities of this machine? I have been working with CNC machines for about 15 years and am currently attending tech school for a machine tool diploma where I am learning for the first time how to do manual machining. I just completed my engine lathe classes and thought it would be fun to have a little lathe in my garage to play around with then I came across this machine today. Any information anyone can provide about this machine would be helpful.

Capabilities pretty well covered in here as to general type. Yours is later, like listed in the 1940 catalog 50A

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Seems doubtful to me that an 80 year old near to bottom of the line model would bring $600 unless in great shape and loaded with dedicated tooling

Whatever price, it has to have the basics like all the change gears shown on this chart - the majority of which will be not installed on machine, but in a loose pile

SB 9C Chart.jpg

Capabilities pretty well covered in here as to general type. Yours is later, like listed in the 1940 catalog 50A

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Seems doubtful to me that an 80 year old near to bottom of the line model would bring $600 unless in great shape and loading with dedicated tooling

What would you pay for this machine in average condition with only a few tools included? Looks like the person selling it has no idea what it is or what it's worth but they are asking $600 so I might be able to get them down on the price.

Very good or near mint I think $600 would be fair for 9" SB having a decent 3 & 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, all gears thread dial, some tooling, nice bench, *tail height looks good to head stock match, some holders, all there...and perhaps throw in a bench grinder with the package. Ignore the paint better if that is wore out but still ok.

If you like it and they won't come down see what they will throw in with the lathe.

looks like 12 gears (?)
southbend lathe 9 inch,full set of change gears South Bend change gears 12 gears | eBay
You can get larger lathes for bargain prices if you have the space and amps to run a larger motor.
Hendley Lathe - tools - by owner - sale
Interesting:
9" South Bend Lathe With Tooling XY AUTOMATIC FEED / USED Floor...

I came across a South Bend lathe on facebook with the model number C9W and catalog number 515-Y. The person is asking $600 for it. First of all is it worth $600? Secondly what are the capabilities of this machine? I have been working with CNC machines for about 15 years and am currently attending tech school for a machine tool diploma where I am learning for the first time how to do manual machining. I just completed my engine lathe classes and thought it would be fun to have a little lathe in my garage to play around with then I came across this machine today. Any information anyone can provide about this machine would be helpful.

For many, it may depend what region you live in. For you, I would guess there's options within driving distance.

I'd say another consideration is your personal budget. If its slim, might shop around more. If you can burn $500 in a bar during the weekend, well why not on a machine ? :D

Back