What's new
What's new

Can't Catch a Break

Which model ? No. 98, No 199 ? I know replacement glass vials are available for 98's for like $35.

Is something else broke ? Any pics ? Also which length, or model pic on box.

Call it a chance at self learning! Free education. :D

I was recently shopping for 98 and 199's. I saw a 98 that the vial didn't look right. So i searched it up. There is actually some pretty cool threads here on Practical Machinist for changing those vials. You will probably need to put your own white piece of paper behind vial, as its backdrop.

I'm out now, I'll link the threads later if you can't find them.

Why not? And why does your concrete slab matter?

Because I use a beam-trolley, engine hoist, or "skyhook" to lift the Mike Foxtrot?

A younger man could move it, manually. But it is STILL one Helluva back-stresser!

The millwrights of Nordyke & Marmon aligned flour mills they were once the Masters and Commanders of, "back in the day". Steam-age, those were engineered as integral parts of multi-story buildings. The level is sort of a "two man carry" with its own vials, plus a precision perch to emplace my Lufkin or Scherr atop for finer resolution.

The "real reason" I have it isn't so much to use AS a level, though.

The nice straight flat sole and reinforced semi-camel-back can guide a sled-mounted cup-wheel grinder very accurately and with no flexing.

And that it was cheaper than dirt!

:D

There was a particular thread I was thinking of. Had nice big pics. I can't find it now, but one that looks like it has been destroyed by photobucket. In searching, I see some youtube vids as well, though I didn't watch them.

Here's a couple of links.

Nice instuction, but no pics in his post:
Starrett 98-4 Level - Vial Replacement

Another with some detail on end caps:
starrett level 98 vial repair

And don't forget your own rocking thread ! Pic heavy and glorious ! With a link to be posted soon ! :D

Last shop I was at had a 199 that wasn't reading good. We sent it out (I think to Starrett) they re-scraped it, changed the vial, and calibrated it. I don't remember the cost but it was definitely less than a new one

Back