What's new
What's new

Cant find model!

Edgas10

Plastic
Hi there all finally i am able to post something.
Anyways im from portugal and i have this deal, a south bend lathe 16 for 1400euros
Cant find model, the owner doesnt know, dont know if it is metric treading or inches or both.
Dont know if its a god deal or not, im a diy guy and my experience is a small lathe 550mm end to end
Attached some pics
Thanks allScreenshot_20190605-202726.jpgIMG_20190605_093627_1_ (2).jpgScreenshot_20190605-202731.jpgIMG_20190605_093502_1_ (2).jpgIMG_20190605_093446_1_ (2).jpg

Last edited:
Since you are a new user it will take some time for your pictures to show up. Just give it a day or two and they will be visible.

In the mean time you could have the seller count the gear teeth on the gear train. That would give a good clue. Maybe even the TPI of the leadscrew. This info is usually on the gear box tag, assuming it has a gearbox, and assuming it has a tag.

Looks like a 14 1/2. I have one of those. They are sort of a bastard size.

Those extra gears and banjo look promising! You may have everything needed to do both inch and metric threads.

What is the length? It's over 1000 lbs regardless.

Living in Portugal I don't know what machinery you have available to you. That might drive up the price. I knew a few people who lived in Portugal and loved it. You people are crazy drivers though! Take 1,000 but offer 800 euro and some good sardines and see what they say.

What is the length? It's over 1000 lbs regardless.

Living in Portugal I don't know what machinery you have available to you. That might drive up the price. I knew a few people who lived in Portugal and loved it. You people are crazy drivers though! Take 1,000 but offer 800 euro and some good sardines and see what they say.
Its 16inch total lenght its 2.70meters aprox
And i dont have much to choose here i have another one 1 meter between center
Its a cq6230a chinese lathe but looks ok

Haha since i never been in america witch i believe is your country i cant compare...
You are he ones witb big machines hehehe
��
Its 1400 shipped to my door its 350km away

From your last pics, you can see that (16" South Bend) is cast into the front of the bed. Since the gearbox thread
chart starts with 4 threads per inch, that would make it an S series lathe. A 16" S series lathe would be a model
CL-117. If the bed is 6 feet long it would be a 117C. If the bed is 7 feet long it would be a 117D, 8 foot a 117E.
Got it? Hope this helps. Good Luck. PB p.s. looks like it might be in good shape.

Its 16inch total lenght its 2.70meters aprox
And i dont have much to choose here i have another one 1 meter between center
Its a cq6230a chinese lathe but looks ok

Haha since i never been in america witch i believe is your country i cant compare...
You are he ones witb big machines hehehe
��
Its 1400 shipped to my door its 350km away

Oh if they are going to deliver it then that is a very good price! Yes I am a crazy American. Cheers!

Oh look at that. It is a 16". Those are easier to find parts for than the 14 1/2 I have.

That machine will make you wonder how you ever got along using the smaller lathe. The first time you make chips and look at the finish you will be amazed.

I have one of those, it was redone by South Bend in 1975. They added a taper attachment and a 2 speed electric motor. It runs like a sewing machine. Will take some pretty healthy cuts, if you get too aggressive it slips the flat belt. It holds accuracy, and repeats very well. I paid 1200 American for it with no tooling and had to clean it up and replace the cross feed screw and nut. I have been really happy with it. It paid for itself in time savings the first job I've done with it. Tim

Back