What's new
What's new

Carriage taper attachment question

mwill135

Aluminum
Trying to find taper attachment, but unsure if carriage attachment site is incorrect. Could my carriage be replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 91
Dunno, I do know that a lot of parts swap between the 9 and the 10. If the paint matches everything else then it's probably original -- or the entire thing was repainted. Your carriage looks to be identical to the one on my 9A. Mine never had the taper attachment, but it does have the same mounting holes as yours.

Edit: what I wrote is in general, not to the specifics of your two pics. Pavt caught the two different machines, I didn't. :D

A carriage/saddle could be changed, but it almost assuredly will not slide well on your ways. You would need need to have it scraped to get that good sliding motion. But you don't need to change saddle if you come up with the T/A parts from a like machine.

I don't know what you mean by "carriage attachment site".

A taper attachment from a like machine will bolt on to your saddle. That's what the two bolt holes are for. For finer alignment, besides those two bolt holes, when you have all the pieces aligned, you would drill two holes through T/A and into saddle, then hammer two dowels in. The dowels get hammered in somewhere near bolt holes.

You would need the two piece crossfeed screw as well, and all the pieces to make T/A happen.

They all have the two flat pads and tapped holes for a taper attachment.

If there had been a TA at some point there would also be two holes for taper pins as well. You'll want to scrape the paint off the pads before mounting your TA.

The pins are dowel pins, not tapered. Before drilling for the dowel pins, be absolutely sure that the taper attachment is mounted so there is no binding when it is being used. I 'borrowed' the one off my 9" UMD for my bench mount. I mounted my motor mount too far forward and the attachment hit the motor. Other then that, it would have worked. Back on the lathe it came with now...
John

100_9399.jpg

As Comstockfriend said. The dowel pins are not drilled and reamed until everything is properly aligned. Send me DM, possible lead on a taper attachment

Back