What's new
What's new

Cast Iron spindle bearing journals 1941 13" South Bend lanthe

vanman

Plastic
Durring my trouble shooting of possible sources of chatting in my recently purchased 1941 13" S.B. lathe I checked the play in my spindle bearings and found 6 thousands of play. After removing the bearing journals I found the the front integral cast iron headstock bearings (the rear bearings are in good shape) were trashed and the spindle had worn about 2 thousands in the area where the bearings scuffs are uploadfromtaptalk1397349037053.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397349055609.jpg

Any ideas on how to recondition these would be greatly appreciated!

I think I would clean everything up and re-assemble that headstock,making sure that you have the cap screws tight.Put the dial indicator on it again,and check it carefully.That bearing doesnt look that bad in the photo.There are paper thin layers in the shims that can be removed to adjust the clearance.I have seen bearings that looked a lot worse than that that were able to be gotten back to tolerence.

That is called a segmented bearing. It is the best bearing SB made. It is not that bad. Still a lot of usable area left.

Clean it up it is still usable. DO NOT use sand paper or emery cloth, particles will get embedded. If you feel you have to smooth it use crocus cloth, it is made from lapping compound. If you feel high spots you could use a fine file to level them.

When replacing spindle you need to get the cuts to line up again. Then shim the caps to get the correct tolerance. Keep oiled.

Ed S

jhruska,

The 1941 South Bend lathe catalog indicates that lathes produced that year where made with integral cast iron bearings. Are you sure your lathe is from 1941?

Vlad

Mr. Kolt,

jhruska stated that his 1941 13", not the OP, has phophor bronze bearings and questioned whether the OPs lathe is from 1941. I am questioning whether jhruskas lathe is from 1941 as the South Bend catalog indicates that lathes made in 1941 had integral cast iron bearings.

Vlad

Vlad,
I had contacted South Bend Lathe (when it was still South Bend Lathe) when the spindle thrust bearing had to be replaced.
Checked back into the records and there is a date February 2, 1940 for serial #95340, the number on the bed.
I was wrong about the date. The lathe I have uses the large and small "Bronze Box" bearings for the spindle.
It does not use the bearing expanders.
I bought the CE3458 Parts Manual form South Bend in 1997. It covers installation, operation, maintenance, & parts for
the 10", 13", 14 1/2", 16" and 16/24" lathes printed in 12/1995.
It does not cover the headstock of my lathe.
The closest to it is:
"Parts List No. 17-C"
"Replacement Parts or South Bend Lathes"
Sizes; 9", 11", 13", 14 1/2", 15", 16", and 16-24" swing lathes, Series "O","N", "R", and "T" lathes. No date of printing.
Regards,
John

John,

Thank you so very much for double checking this infor for me. I am going to archive this for my own use as I have been looking into, or trying to look into, the bearing material history for South Bend lathes.

The South Bend web site indicates that starting December, 1939 they switched to integral cast iron bearings. Perhaps bronze bearings where available as a special order at that time frame.

Again, thanks for double checking,

Vlad

The 1941 vintage machine with the bronze bearings could be a series T built for a special order,or a series S that got a headstock transplant with the doner being a series T lathe or a later bronze bearing version.Parts interchangability is why these machines live for ever.

Back