What's new
What's new

Catalog Number / Serial Number Card crossover info

cnclatheman

Plastic
Not sure if this has been addressed in another post or not... I am trying to found out if there is a record of catalog numbers that crossover with item numbers listed on serial number cards. For example... The serial number card I just received from Grizzly Industrial (for ser. # 10407TKX14 1965 build) shows an item number of SRD101T in the “STEADY REST” box, but a catalog I have (1966) lists the number as CL2400T for this same item (Telescoping Jaw Steady Rest).

I realize that I can look at the item and match it up visually with what is in a catalog, but I was hoping to find out if a cross reference has possibly been created.

Many thanks for any info!

Could be the difference between the part number and the catalog number. The part number should be cast or stamped in the part itself - it doesn't change year after year. The catalog number can change. The CL2400T is the part number for a 13" steady rest.

That seemed a little odd to me so looked through a 1963 and 1966 South Bend catalog and found that the telescoping steady rest for a 13" is CL2400T in both catalogs. I then looked through a South Bend 10"-16" Lathe Parts List catalog (numbered CE 3458),and it lists the 13" Complete Assembly is also CL2400T. However... In the exploded view drawing showing the individual parts, it states that,"The parts illustrated on this page are for Unit Code Nos. SRD100K, SRD101R, and SRD101T". This is interesting in that SRD101T is the number on the Serial Number card that I have.
So does that mean that "Unit Code Numbers" are what is used on the Serial Number Cards and if so, is there a master list somewhere?

The UCN are basically version numbers of the item. There once were engineering drawings that showed the progression of the changes, but AFAIK, not many were ever made public. I have the engineering changes made to the H10 tail stock, but that's all I have ever seen.

As to accessories for your lathe, they are the same for all models within a particular series. When looking for parts or accessories for your lathe, check the unit code. All sub-assemblies and most accessories will have a unit code stamped on them. For example, your compound will have a unit code stamped in the T-slot under the tool post. It will look something like “C 100 N.” Your apron will have a unit code something like “A 100 N” or “A 101 NK” on the front.
The unit code is made up of three parts: The prefix letter or letters identify the subassembly (C - Compound, A - Apron, etc.). The body number of the code identifies the version of the subassembly. The first number is the major design version and the last two numbers are minor version changes. (e.g. 100 - first design, 101 - first design, first version change, etc.). The suffix letter or letters identify what lathe series the subassembly will fit. This is the most important information to remember! The suffixes are as follows:
N - 9 Inch,
K - 10 K,
R - Heavy Ten,
L - Heavy Ten (Large Spindle),
T - Thirteen Inch,
F - 14.5 Inch,
H - 16 Inch.

Now, some sub-assemblies and accessories are used on more than one series lathe. The 9 inch and the 10K lathes share many of the same parts and assemblies. Therefore, the apron (on later models made after the introduction of the 10K) will be marked with a two letter suffix code (i.e. “A 101 NK”). These suffix codes are used in part numbers also (except “general hardware” parts) . For example, the cover plate used on the micrometer carriage stop is part number: PT1209NT1. This breaks down to: “PT” - Part (Assemblies start “AS”), “1209” - The Number, “NT” - Fits lathes 9 inch Through 13 inch, “1” - First version. Sometimes, you can see similar numbers cast into some parts as well. These suffix codes are very useful when checking used parts for compatibility with you lathe. Your Serial number card (type written past the mid 30's) will have the sub-subassemblies unit codes listed.

Steve

Just wanted to say that for someone who just purchased 9A and recevied their scanned serial card, this post is gold. I have some parts that I need to track down for my apron and I was confused by the A101 designation and how it related to various parts lists out on the internet.

To make sure I'm crystal clear on this, my lathe card which indicates my machine was built in December 1946 lists A101 for my apron. If I look at a parts list from 1957 can I conclude that PT83NK1 will fit my machine whereas AS231NK2 will not?

To make sure I'm crystal clear on this, my lathe card which indicates my machine was built in December 1946 lists A101 for my apron. If I look at a parts list from 1957 can I conclude that PT83NK1 will fit my machine whereas AS231NK2 will not?

The short answer is no, you can't assume that.
The Idler gear shifter part number is basically unchanged from the original 83N1.
The Cross-feed Compound Gear shaft original number was 231N1 and was available as a single PT part, you could order the spring washer,
357N1 separately.
If you could order the shaft today, as AS231NK2, it would come with the spring washer(PT357NK1), the part number has been revised as "AS" Assembly, and this is the 2nd revision of the part number.
All three will fit.

Steve

Back