What's new
What's new

Clamp Sets for Face Plate Operations

Kevin T

Stainless
I have an interest in some face plate work and I have a couple South Bend face plates to go along with my lathe but no way to safely clamp work. I know I need 5/8 thru bolts and T-nuts. Is this a place where imported tooling is not an issue? I can't see myself clamping anything to the faceplace that is more than about 3 inches high and all the sets I am seeing include a lot of taller clamp blocks and bolts I would imagine they are more specific to a Vertical Mill. You guys have any wisdom to impart here? Is there a type that is better suited to lathe operations? I am thinking lower profile is important.

I am working on a brass riser for my toolpost and I went to the hardware store to MacGyver something to get me by. Ended up with some Grade 8 flange bolts and hardened washers I have a few other projects in mind and am going to need something better in the future.

P1050693.jpg

P1050695.jpg

I like wood "fixtures" - this one used to be something else, now it is holding one of four parts

I get to put tapped holes anywhere I please

And the "fixture" gets bolted to the face plate wherever the face plate likes

DCP_1615.jpg

Cool, I "would" not have thought to use "wood".

White Oak from stair treads now and then. About the most-stable that a BigBox has. Linen bakelite has been my "go to" for ages, but the stash of "drops" is sore depleted and I THINK shiney-wood is cheaper these days?

Also when kitchen cutting boards, plyprop-, polyethyl-, and laminated Bamboo go on sale at the poor ladie's store, I renew the one's in the kitchen, relegate the scarred ones to the shop.

Fasteners - whatever FITs. Ignorant carriage bolts even..so long as they hold.
Wotever is in the box Helen Hunt manages AKA "Hell box".

You know the one. Where the miscellaneous, unsorted odds and sods end up in a jumble so that when you need stuff, you have to go to Helen Hunt for it.

My father was a wood turner.He had numerous wooden fixtures which he operated at blinding speed some times.I have no recollection of any of them letting go.He did have chunks come out of work pieces at times and always wore a face shield.
One of his favorites was called a waste block.It was glued (same glue) to the work piece and removed with a ship chissel.Brass flat head machine screws held it to the face plate.

Other "wood" stuff

Supporting thin section in piece being made from old Mopar cast iron flywheel - in the 16" Monarch

P1000491sm.jpg

And similar supports for the big L&S - and putting them to use.
P1000490sm.jpgP1000489sm.jpgP1000479sm.jpg

Note the super handy fact that where the part is to be machined is just beyond the chuck jaws - part of the plan

Back