What's new
What's new

Cleaning The Leadscrew

Kevin T

Stainless
My lathe keeps getting nicer and nicer to look at but one thing that I can't seem to get clean is that grimy leadscrew of mine. I tried a string under power, didn't really do spit. I can get somewhere with a wire brush but its not efficient. Is there an ACME thread chaser type tool that I might use to get it done?

If you have gone through this what have you done?

I have just used mineral spirits and a disposable paint brush with the bristles cut shorter making it stiffer. After cleaning I use DTE Circulating Oil on the screw. I lube the lathe- ways,spindle, apron, tail stock, change gears etc every time I use the lathe with fresh Way Oil, Spindle Oil and Circulating Oil. Once everything is clean it is easier to keep it clean with the fresh oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just used mineral spirits and a disposable paint brush with the bristles cut shorter making it stiffer. After cleaning I use DTE Circulating Oil on the screw. I lube the lathe- ways,spindle, apron, tail stock, change gears etc every time I use the lathe with fresh Way Oil, Spindle Oil and Circulating Oil. Once everything is clean it is easier to keep it clean with the fresh oils.

Thanks the shortened brush is making a big difference...still not coming out as shiny as I would have thought.

To get yours clean, the first thing you're going to have to do is to get it clean - ie, get all the grime off it. Mineral spirits, gasoline, kerosene or diesel will all do the trick of dissolving the grime. Once all the grime is off, it is fairly easy to keep clean, using one of the techniques above. I use the "string method", but my string is a piece of old T-shirt.

For impacted crud at the bottom of threads, I do something like the string trick, but with a screw driver flat blade. Screw driver shaft griped in four fingers, blade tip pointing up, and parallel to my thumb, also pointing up.

Now pinch leadscrew with thumb on one side, screw driver blade on the other. Run the leadscrew. . . If you have soft skin, duct tape your thumb :D.

Might take a pass or two in each direction. Once impacted crud is out, string method is pretty good.

To make pretty, emory cloth with wd40 while spinning lead screw. Same as you might for any part in the chuck. Emory cloth string method can help clean threads as well.

Final clean with ATF and a rag strip, or strings. . .

For impacted crud at the bottom of threads, I do something like the string trick, but with a screw driver flat blade. Screw driver shaft griped in four fingers, blade tip pointing up, and parallel to my thumb, also pointing up.

Now pinch leadscrew with thumb on one side, screw driver blade on the other. Run the leadscrew. . . If you have soft skin, duct tape your thumb :D.

Might take a pass or two in each direction. Once impacted crud is out, string method is pretty good.

To make pretty, emory cloth with wd40 while spinning lead screw. Same as you might for any part in the chuck. Emory cloth string method can help clean threads as well.

Final clean with ATF and a rag strip, or strings. . .

I employed the brute force scrubbing method to get all the crud out...whew! Not a fun couple of hours with that 6 ft leadscrew! I used Xylene and kerosene with a shortened brush and some application of brass wire brush. She's 98% there.

I want to get'er looking really good though so the emory cloth will come out (thanks for the tip!) I have some decent 400 grit so maybe tomorrow.

Small 90 degree pneumatic die grinder with wire wheel.

Move carriage to one end, turn on lathe to finest pitch and sweep back and forth with wheel or fast pitch and follow the thread.

Move carriage to opposite end an repeat.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks the shortened brush is making a big difference...still not coming out as shiny as I would have thought.
If shiny threads are your goal, you are removing too much metal from an old, probably pitted part. My goal is a clean lubricated surface with no crusting or deposits. More than that will affect the screw dimensions just for appearance sake.

Dullvinci's 100% right. While very fine abrasives would take a lot of time and effort to affect the lead screws accuracy, it's still not a great idea. And if the lead screw is in that condition what are the half nuts like? Polishing the thread flanks while having half nuts half full of the same crap is a bit pointless. Pull the lead screw and drop it in a capped piece of pipe, fill with whatever your solvent of choice is and let it soak while your dropping the apron to get at those half nuts. Guaranteed they need the same attention. If you really want a new looking lead screw, then order a blank with the correct ACME TPI for your lathe and machine the ends to suit. Very likely that's what South Bend may have done anyway since manufacturing long lengths of ACME screws and then straightening them to meet spec is a pretty specialized business. While your at it, replace the half nuts as well and then that area is at least properly rebuilt and good for another 50 years. Lube oil instead of grease is almost always used everywhere on manual machine tools instead of grease. It both lubricates the moving parts but also helps to flush out contamination and any wear particles. If the lead screw or even way surfaces show black oil after some use, it means your not oiling often enough or with enough oil. And that lube or way oil is dirt cheap, those precision parts aren't.

Dullvinci's 100% right. While very fine abrasives would take a lot of time and effort to affect the lead screws accuracy, it's still not a great idea. And if the lead screw is in that condition what are the half nuts like? Polishing the thread flanks while having half nuts half full of the same crap is a bit pointless. Pull the lead screw and drop it in a capped piece of pipe, fill with whatever your solvent of choice is and let it soak while your dropping the apron to get at those half nuts. Guaranteed they need the same attention. If you really want a new looking lead screw, then order a blank with the correct ACME TPI for your lathe and machine the ends to suit. Very likely that's what South Bend may have done anyway since manufacturing long lengths of ACME screws and then straightening them to meet spec is a pretty specialized business. While your at it, replace the half nuts as well and then that area is at least properly rebuilt and good for another 50 years. Lube oil instead of grease is almost always used everywhere on manual machine tools instead of grease. It both lubricates the moving parts but also helps to flush out contamination and any wear particles. If the lead screw or even way surfaces show black oil after some use, it means your not oiling often enough or with enough oil. And that lube or way oil is dirt cheap, those precision parts aren't.

I went through the saddle when I joined here so all the internals were/are cleaned and oiled. I didn't know enough at the time to assess all the wear points in the saddle but of the internet references I could find mine was OK to use and no as bad as others I had seen.

From my observations my leadscrew only shows wear at ~16"-20" from the spindle end. If the 120 pound scrolling 4 jaw Skinner Chuck that I got with the lathe was OEM, the Navy (or Raritan Aresenal) was mainly using it to thread something ~2"-6" from the chuck face (When I consider the half nut distance from tool post center). The rest looks unworn.

I thread often but never the same location on the screw since I mainly do one offs. If the condition of the screw was concerning I think I might try to section and flip the screw around to get another 80 years out of her. I do have a need to cut some acme threads soon so maybe I can try a half nut but I'm not sure it's totally necessary.

Appreciate the dialog and thoughts all.

Going to call it done with this screw. I didn't polish it just all the elbow grease. I should have taken before pics it was pretty bad down at the far end. Thanks again all.

P1080454006.jpg

P1080459001.jpg

“Turned” out nice. [emoji23]
Looks almost like factory new. At least it is clean now. Will be easy to keep that way with fresh oiling all the time. Glad your efforts worked well!
Happy New Year![emoji3060]

This makes me wonder if having a bush mounted to one or both sides of the carriage to brush the chips off before they get into the apron would be a good idea.

You could have it on the underside pointing up so that any chips that come off fall down.

Kinda like way wipers clean the ways before it goes under the carriage.

Steve

This makes me wonder if having a bush mounted to one or both sides of the carriage to brush the chips off before they get into the apron would be a good idea.

You could have it on the underside pointing up so that any chips that come off fall down.

Kinda like way wipers clean the ways before it goes under the carriage.

Steve

Might be a good idea depending on what you turn. I have something I want to turn out of hard wood, hmmmm. On my first toy lathe I used a clear piece of plastic tubing that I slit lengthwise to fit over the leadscrew to keep it clean. I wouldn't do that on this one there is just too much travel and I'm sure I would crash it!

Mine didn't really have "chips" in it. More like dried oil/grease that was hard and gummy.

Back