What's new
What's new

Collets

johnnymoff

Plastic
Hi Again

I have a 9" SBL (SN 60482)

What collets work on a 9" SBL? Do I need anything else besides the collets themselves? Do I need to buy vintage collets or does someone sell new ones that I can use?

Thanks,
-John

Do a search of the forum and you will know what collets you need. You also need to read the rules for posting thread titles. This thread and you other thread both have neaningless titles and should be closed/locked. If you did a proper search you would not be cluttering the forum with meaningless threads in the first place.

In addition to 3C, you can use 3MT collets.

Advantages - you can use collets up to 3/4", while the limit for 3C is 1/2" (although I have seen some 9/16" 3C collets for sale).

Disadvantages:
You need to make a new drawbar. Not hard to do, just a solid rod with threads on one end and a handle on the other.
You can't pass stock thru them - the drawbar is in the way. They are generally considered toolholding collets and not workholding collets. You can fit stock maybe an inch or so into them, which can be useful at times.
They generally only come in 1/16" sizes so you are not going to find one in 47/64th.

I would recommend getting the 3C collets up to 1/2", and then picking up some 3MT in 9/16", 5/8", 11/16" and 3/4". You won't need anything smaller because your 3C collets will cover those sizes.

Steve

Also the 3AT collett and the 3PN collett can be used on a 9" SBL.Each has its own closing sleeve to match the spindle taper.The 3AT has the same thread as the 3c so if your drawbar is long enough you can make a shorter collar to reach the 3ATs.The 3PN has a 24 pitch thread so you will need to make a drawbar for them if you find any.I use all 3 types on my 9" machine.The 3MT colletts are blind hole colletts so you cant put long rods through them.I have not tried them.

Also the 3AT collett and the 3PN collett can be used on a 9" SBL.

Unless a set of 3PN fall into your lap, or you get a good deal on a set of 3AT, I would stick with 3C, as they are plentiful and cheap (probably the second most common lathe collet on the planet after its big brother 5C).

I've never even seen a 3PN to MT3 adapter, so don't buy the collets unless it comes with an adapter.

I have ebay searches set up for 3C, 3AT and 3pn collets. The 3C search returns 124 items, the 3AT returns 92 and the 3pn almost never returns anything.

Steve

I agree the 3pn is a real rare collett. I happened on a rag tag set of them as a result of owning a Pratt & Whitney bench lathe. They are very tight collets. I made the closing sleeve for them as they arrived after the P&W had departed.The 3AT is also tight. The 3C has more range because it’s longer. I have 2A collets for my 13” machine. Those collets give continuous coverage from 1/32” to 3/4”. They are even longer. Grab any square and hex collets you can,they allow some easy tricks.

If you can find one, a Jacobs Model 50 rubberflex collet chuck (with collets) is indispensable. Mine only leave my spindle if the work is too large. Extremely precise with a large range. I'm puzzled that they're not made anymore...

Before I got mine, I used an ER40 collet chuck with an MT3 adapter. For my work (which rarely requires feeding through spindle, just workholding) it was the next best thing. Collets are the way to go whenever they can be used.

Two disadvantages to Rubberflex chucks: they’re inconvenient at best for short work, and the collet face is recessed behind the nose cap, so you’re dealing with too much overhang on small stock. Also, the nose cap collects chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 3AT in my Logan, and they tend to have limited availability. OTOH, I just noticed that CDCO has some very good deals on 3C collet sets. No, they won't be Hardinge quality, but at least you'll have a complete set.

I use 3AT in my Logan, and they tend to have limited availability. OTOH, I just noticed that CDCO has some very good deals on 3C collet sets. No, they won't be Hardinge quality, but at least you'll have a complete set.

Logans were probably the only lather besides Atlas that came with 3AT.

Logans (the smaller ones) have the same 3MT spindle that the Atlas and South Bend 9's have, so you can use 3AT or 3C easily in any of them. Probably boils down to which can you get (collets and adapter) cheapest.

Steve

I use both 1A and 3C's in my SB 9". Not so important if buying new from Little Machine Shop, but helpful if trying to score on ebay or Craigs List.

To follow the porting rules, your title should be something like "What type of collet do I use in my SB 9"

Back