What's new
What's new

Coming aboard!

Christian James

Aluminum
Hi guys, Greetings from New Zealand.
I have just registered so hello to everyone on here - beers are on me!
I purchased a one owner 9"x 48" SB a few months ago from a deceased estate and a very good buy it has proven to be. In US$ it cost about $575 at the time of purchase so well happy. I've been into 3D printing as well for the last 3 or 4 years but the lathe has really completed my wish list. The machine came minus a thread dial so I was quickly into designing a TDI for it using 3D printed ABS components plus a steel shaft and ballraces for the drive from the LS. It's a model B so happy days swapping gears.
Cheers for now,

welcome. You'll find a great group of people on this board. Willing to help any way they can. What is the serial number of your lathe. With it, we can date your machine. More than likely, it's a WWII import. Hercus, an Australian company, is a clone of the South Bend lathe. Many of the parts should be interchangeable. But please don't hold me to that. For more information refer to,

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/page3.html

also look through the stickies on this board. There's a lot of good information that can be quickly accessed there. And if you still have a question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Enjoy your new machine.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Hey Joe, thanks for the welcome.
It is definitely a South Bend and the serial is 6097NBR8. The previous owners son thinks he bought it around 1950 or maybe a bit earlier.

your lathe was made in 1947, It is what they call an intermediate bed lathe. The gap between the ways is a bit more narrow than a standard bed. So the headstock clamps and tailstock clampis not the same. Other than that most everything is standard. I'm curious why they chose to purchase US-made lathe instead of an Australian made lathe. the shipping must've been expensive. especially when you consider that they are basically the same machine. when you get a chance, please post a picture of your machine. We would love to see it.

if you need any help with your machine, please don't hesitate to ask. Someone will try to help you.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Hi Joe, here's some pics of the lathe. The "grainy" Vendors place pic is what I saw on arrival. I checked the machine out, liked what I saw, then broke it down into manageable chunks for transport home. I didn't bother re-assembling it when I got it home but rather stripped it down for a full service, check-over and a few cans of paint. Nothing needed replacing except for replacing the oil wicks and the motor cables. I don't think the back gear had ever been used or much threading done. Anyway, its in service now with a QCTP recently added.almost done.jpgBed rib.jpgrebuild.jpgthread chart.jpgvendors place.jpg

It looks like you've done a nice job. I hope you enjoy it for many years. As I said your Lathe was made in 1947, but I must correct myself, it is Not a intermediate bed lathe. your lathe must have been made just as they were changing over, back to the original style bed. So you should not have some of the problems I have with my lathe. this is a great place for information. When in doubt, ask questions. Remember, there are no stupid questions, if you don't know the answer. this board exists to help others. Please use it when you need to. feel free to pass on your experience with your machine. We love to see projects that you make, and how you use your machine.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Well, I wouldn't have a clue regarding the bed - I'm happy to take your explanation! I've posted a few more pics, though I didn't bother with the camera too much, I just wanted a pic of the apron to make sure I re-assembled it in sequence.apron2.jpgapron3.jpghalf nuts.jpgheadstock .jpgspindle.jpg

Hello Christian, you did a fine looking job on your lathe.It looks like it's a model "B". The segmented spindle bearing surface was said to improve lubrication so that one could achieve higher spindle speeds. Also, yes it sure looks to have very little wear. Welcome aboard! Regards, Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the welcome. Yes its a Model B - I reckon Model "A's" are as rare as hens teeth in NZ! It's Spring here now so time to start carving up some metal!

Cheers,CJ

Back