What's new
What's new

Considerations for Tail Stock Wipers

Kevin T

Stainless
I had my old cross slide swarf blocker laying around and I really need some tail stock wipers so i am fabbing them up. Before I get too far along I am punting in here to see if there is anything I should be thinking about before I complete the job? I was going to go with a 10-32 tapped hole like the ones on the cross slide. The felts came with my rebuild kit and the V way sides are a little smaller than the ones on the cross slide. I guess that is OK since I dont move the tailstock as much yeah? Any considerations for hole placement?

Just so the felts make contact should be the order of the day yeah? I was going to take the TS to the bench and drill by hand with a drill bushing and guide. Over thinking this?

P10609113.jpg

P10609135.jpg

P10609151.jpg

Hey, maybe it was a dumb question but lot's of views and no feedback so I'll just go for it! I just haven't drill into my machine before so I wanted to ask! LOL

Having contact with the ways is key for wipers to actually work. Without contact, it's just waving at the dirt and debris as it goes by.

This question is analogous to saying, "I want to put windshield wipers on my car. Should the wipers actually touch the windshield?"

I'd say not just contact, but a touch of pressure also. You don't want fine grit slipping past lightly touching felts.

Also don't worry if you feel you drilled wrong. If the pre-cut felt feels wrong, just buy a small sheet of felt from mcmaster carr or grainger. Grainger has been cheaper when I shopped. Based on some research I'd use F1 grade felt, plain backing not adhesive, for way wipers. As an example, though there are different thicknesses:
GRAINGER APPROVED Felt Sheet, F1, 1'/'4 In Thick, 12 x 12 In - 2DAH9'|'2DAH9 - Grainger

I had a thread in another section with felt info for anyone interested:
Another Felt Discussion

Having contact with the ways is key for wipers to actually work. Without contact, it's just waving at the dirt and debris as it goes by.

This question is analogous to saying, "I want to put windshield wipers on my car. Should the wipers actually touch the windshield?"

Ummm, yes of course, but I was more after... "Oh I tried that but SB used a weird kind of metal on those bases so make sure you use a *** drill bit or something along those lines". Come to think of it I do need some new windshield wipers though! :D

I'd say not just contact, but a touch of pressure also. You don't want fine grit slipping past lightly touching felts.

Also don't worry if you feel you drilled wrong. If the pre-cut felt feels wrong, just buy a small sheet of felt from mcmaster carr or grainger. Grainger has been cheaper when I shopped. Based on some research I'd use F1 grade felt, plain backing not adhesive, for way wipers. As an example, though there are different thicknesses:
GRAINGER APPROVED Felt Sheet, F1, 1'/'4 In Thick, 12 x 12 In - 2DAH9'|'2DAH9 - Grainger

I had a thread in another section with felt info for anyone interested:
Another Felt Discussion

Great info thanks!

given that I've never been able to drill a straight hole by hand I'd use a drill press instead. If not that than at least drill a block of steel 3/4 or 1" thick with your tap drill and use that as a guide. You could even drill a hole next to it for the thread OD of the tap.

I'll be doing something similar to my SB soon - the ones I made by hand for my A***s worked very well. I'll be adding oil cups and drilling the base for channels to the front and rear ways too, that helps a bunch.

but I was more after... "Oh I tried that but SB used a weird kind of metal on those bases so make sure you use a *** drill bit or something along those lines".

Our lathes are close in year. Not all had wipers back then, including engine lathe tail stocks.

The turret tail stock on my 2H did not either. It was on my mind during the build because I can't simply yank of the TS on this :D. I don't recall writing it up, but when I had the TS off and in a million pieces I drilled and tapped then. Mostly due to not being able to get a drill angled straight with the base on ways. :D

Needed nothing fancy, just a hss drill bit.

55.jpg

Also, when you post questions about your particular lathe, be sure to indicate which lathe it is, or the actual size. The only user lathe size I remember here is MINE! Giving the year of your lathe will also help a lot.

Well the wiper project turned out to be a pimp out the TS project! I have been waiting to make it nicer looking and this was the day.

But first the wipers:

I took the TS off to the bench to drill the holes but it was to big for my drill press so I had to employ some drill bushings. The left side (Quill Side) was pretty easy since there is a cavity in the casting that I could get a clamp on and there is more flat land to index too.

P10609173.jpg

The other side I decided to do on the lathe. Not rocket science but not as easy as the first side. I used a long clamp up under the TS on the lock bar and was able to hold the bushing bar. Not ideal but not tight tolerance either.

P10609417.jpg

Got it done. Really nice!

P106094915.jpg

P106095016.jpg

While off the lathe I polished some parts on the TS that I didn't get around to doing when i refurbished her.

With the new quill I got from Ted and the polished up handle end she's looking good!

P106095117.jpg

P106094612.jpg

P106095319.jpg

Back