What's new
What's new

Convert metric 10k to Imperial 10k using Imperial 9a - Or swap with 10k 'er?

adam9274

Plastic
Hi,
I'm wondering if it is possible to convert a metric 10k to an imperial 10k, using parts from an imperial 9a. I think i'd rather work in imperial... It's not a matter of just cutting imperial thread once in a while. I think I want to move the slides in imperial... like my first lathe.

The list of items I think i'd need to swap would be:
-gear box and lead screw and associated gears near the banjo etc.
-cross feed leadscrew and pinion
-compound

Am I missing anything? Is this possible?

The other option would be trade metric components to someone who wants a metric machine, for their imperial components? Any takers?

Adam

Seems like a prime opportunity to rationalize acquisition and retention of two lathes. :)

"Two" true. Or a bi-sexual DRO?

One can spend the price of two just chasing the goods for a conversion, even if the labour were "free". Which it isn't, really.

Bill

(Monarch 10EE for "inch". Cazeneuve HBX-360 for "metric ++"). I don't have to work in Arshins or Cubits, so that's good enough.

Last edited:
If it's a full on metric machine you will spend twice what it's worth to convert it.....huge second on the notion to have 2nd one for imperial.

Would gladly swap my 10k's imperial bits for metric ones.... but geography is a serious hurdle that will likely prevent this :( (Southern tip of Africa)

If I can't find a tailstock for the 10k I picked up this week I'd let go all the parts you need for reasonable.

The other option would be trade metric components to someone who wants a metric machine, for their imperial components? Any takers?

Adam

I am in process of rebuilding (more repainting :eek: ) 10L . I am wondering - are all dials and lead screws compatible with yours ? what else need to be swapped ? would it be difficult to send parts back and forth ?

I am in process of rebuilding (more repainting :eek: ) 10L . I am wondering - are all dials and lead screws compatible with yours ? what else need to be swapped ? would it be difficult to send parts back and forth ?

Nothing of importance is compatible between the L and K.

PM sent...

I have done it. You will need half nuts and a thread dial as well.

Ah jeez... never even thought of the half nuts... good call...

As an over-all update, I think I've decided not to do a swap; not because it is not possible, but I think it'll just be easier to find an imperial machine, and let the metric one go to someone else who wants metric...

Last edited:

Back