What's new
What's new

Converting 9A 6 speed to 12 speed

Domodude17

Aluminum
I'm wondering if I can convert my 1943 9A from 6 speeds to 12 speeds by getting a 2 step motor pulley and the 2 step countershaft pulley. In the thread i've linked below, it sounds like it's possible since my lathe has the side oilers.

I know I can use a VFD, but I actually have an old VFD and motor running the lathe already. Problem being, it's only a 1/2 hp motor, and the VFD is old and not user friendly-i.e, I need to spend about 2-3 minutes changing setting and scrolling to the desired frequency. A belt change would be much easier if I want to get to higher RPMs. A new VFD and motor will be expensive, whereas I may be able to make the required pulleys (provided the new countershaft pulley is 9" dia or less). Or, if anyone has a lead on a 2 step pulley for the countershaft I would be interested.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...version-360171/?highlight=countershaft+pulley

The 10k is a newer 9A and it comes with the the stepped motor and counter shaft pulleys. As a 10k owner since 1981, I never use that as a speed changing feature. I pick a position and leave it there.

The 10k is a newer 9A and it comes with the the stepped motor and counter shaft pulleys. As a 10k owner since 1981, I never use that as a speed changing feature. I pick a position and leave it there.

You never belt-shift to change spindle rpm's?? That's crazy!

Back