What's new
What's new

Could someone shed some light on the stand under this lathe?

dcsipo

Diamond
South bend lathe

00L0L_b2Xcus6tQCe_600x450.jpg

Not the first military surplus lathe i saw it under. is that something they used on ships or some mobile installation?

dee
;-D

I don't believe I ever saw a SB lathe like that. It definitely wasn't produced by SB. I wonder who manufactured it.
That is an unusual stand. It appears it would tip easily.

btm

I don't believe I ever saw a SB lathe like that. It definitely wasn't produced by SB. I wonder who manufactured it.
That is an unusual stand. It appears it would tip easily.

btm

no interest in the lathe :)...but i saw that exact stand on other military surplus lathes of other manufacture. It is a strange config.

dee
;-D

no interest in the lathe :)...but i saw that exact stand on other military surplus lathes of other manufacture. It is a strange config.

dee
;-D

Looks like it mounts with bolts to the floor, so maybe it was meant to be in a ship. Looks like it's in good shape, despite appearing unstable on that stand, my guess is, as Paul Harvey used to say, "then there was...the rest of the story".

Looks like it mounts with bolts to the floor, so maybe it was meant to be in a ship. Looks like it's in good shape, despite appearing unstable on that stand, my guess is, as Paul Harvey used to say, "then there was...the rest of the story".

Maybe. But when I was in the navy all our shop equipment was welded to the deck.

Back