What's new
What's new

Counter Shaft Removal

Flute Maker

Cast Iron
Hi guys,
We're cleaning up a horizontal drive, 9A with quick change, and need to replace the bearings on the counter shaft. It appears to come off to the left / pulley side. Flat pulley and locking collar are loose, as is the shaft, /lots of radial play too / but we are hesitant to put a mallet on right end, without being sure there isn't something we've missed.

Thanks for your assistance.

Payson.

The big pulley can stay on. The shaft is held in position by the collar - (which you've loosened). The set screw which holds the triple pulley in position needs to be loosened (which I assume you've done). I think its very likely that the indent "cut" into the shaft by the tightening of the collar set screw is where its jamming.

Often the set screws for the collar and pulley will raise a burr on the shaft which makes it difficult to get the shaft out. Of course there's no way to get the burr off until you get the shaft out. Forcing the shaft out may gouge the bearings which is unfortunate but it may be hard to avoid. It's not a happy situation.

The bearings are shot. Lots of side play. The problem is I don’t want to break the casting by hammering on the end of the shaft that’s exposed, And it’s hard to support the casting with the Large pulley in the way.

OK, I seem to remember doing this....

Remove the set screw from the collar, then screw in a bolt of the same thread almost all the way down but not touching the shaft of course. Use a tool of some sort (small pipe?) to grip the bolt then rock the collar around the circumference - the collar will tend to smooth out the raised detent and become loose. The shaft may get a small scratch where the collar is rotated but that wont be anywhere near the bearing and should be smoothed enough anyway by the collar rubbing it. Anyway, once its loose, you can slide the cone pulley and collar to the right and then stone the shaft. Do the same to the cone pulley if necessary but the collar clean up may well suffice.

Hi all, I’m the other person working on this lathe. I have removed the countershaft and found out that it was completely trashed under the bearings and the bearings are also trashed. Plenty of grease to help hold all of the grit and grind everything into oblivion. The casting, pulleys, collar seeme to be fine. Does anybody have, know where we can get a new or used countershaft? Or maybe a drawing ? Or should we measure as best we can and make it ourselves?
Thanks,

Conrad

Your best bet would be to measure and fab yourself. I don't think that you'll have much luck finding NOS parts around. Anyway, the shaft is fairly simple, isn't it?

It's possible that you could build up the trashed areas with weld metal, then turn the repair back to size.

Thanks to all for the advice.
I went to Speedy Metals and got a length of material for the shaft. Bought some bearings on eBay. Turned the shaft. Somehow managed to line up the drilled hole in the new shaft with the hole in the large pulley well enough to ream the hole to fit a #4 pin (luck), and get the whole thing back together.��
Conrad

Back