What's new
What's new

Cross feed bushing?

tmat256

Plastic
Hey all,

I'm in the process of purchasing my first lathe.

signal-2020-09-21-194651.jpg

I am getting a good deal on it because it's missing the cross feed bushing. From what I can find online it appears to be part PT63R3. I can't seem to find any place to buy one or any information about the dimensions to even go about trying to make one myself.

I did find this video series where someone appears to be making a large dial version of the part that I need: Southbend 13" Large Dial Upgrade: Bushing Part 1 - YouTube

Can anyone give me a hand with this? I would be willing to buy one from someone or just some help with the dimensions so I could try to make one myself.

Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert on the 13's but I don't think that the bushing would be all that hard to make . is the rest of the crossfeed screw assembly there ? you can just lock the crossfeed with the gib screws & probably make the part on the lathe . I'm sure the pros will chime in that have more knowledge with the larger lathes . make the seller throw in the surface grinder
animal

Hey all,

I'm in the process of purchasing my first lathe.

View attachment 300125

I am getting a good deal on it because it's missing the cross feed bushing. From what I can find online it appears to be part PT63R3. I can't seem to find any place to buy one or any information about the dimensions to even go about trying to make one myself.

I did find this video series where someone appears to be making a large dial version of the part that I need: Southbend 13" Large Dial Upgrade: Bushing Part 1 - YouTube

Can anyone give me a hand with this? I would be willing to buy one from someone or just some help with the dimensions so I could try to make one myself.

Thanks in advance!

The Lathe in the picture looks like a 16” with large dials...the part number you mention is not correct.
Send me an email and I will fix you up
Ted
[email protected]

not a 13", motor base is too big. Its a 14.5 or 16".

Depending what bushing, and what cross feed screw, the bushing may or may not take thrust bearings on each side of bushing. There are different styles. To better know, need a measurement from shoulder of gear on CF screw to the end with handle, but in that equation, there is a dial face to mate with bushing.

Its easy, very doable. But may need all pieces lined up in a row to figure it out.

If it does take thrust bearings on each side. Each bearing is like .350" thick ish. So if you come up short, you know approx what it is.

Thanks for the info and votes of confidence. It is in fact a 16" lathe but I'm not picking it up until middle of next week so I won't be able to take any pictures of the cross feed assembly for a bit.

After doing a little more research and reading the South Bend parts bulletin a little closer it looks like the part might be PT63R2 seeing as the dial appears to be 3" and the machine doesn't have a taper attachment.

Actual part numbers are not going to help you 99.9% of the time anymore. The parts book, for explosion view pics is handy. I'd say part numbers on certain castings is handy if you can verify part x was for a 16" and not a 10". But it doesn't come up often.

Noone is really buying and selling by part number, most are not stamped. Something like a steady rest will have a number cast into, but most parts nothing. You will be shopping/buying by swing size, 16".

South Bend as a company has been gone too long. And machines so old who knows what was changed over the past 50 to 70 years :D.

Single tumbler qcgb on yours, so probably from 1940's.

Back