What's new
What's new

Cross feed casting on 16" SB

Barry 16"

Aluminum
Hi guys, i finally took apart the cross feed on my 16" and discovered what some Lug Nut did to it probably 20 years ago. He made a cross feed nut and machined out the bottom side of the casting to mount it. Does any body know how interchangable these are ? Mine is a single tumbler, will the casting from a double tumbler work as well. As now i am on a search for a new casting. Thanx Barry

Pics of cross feed

Here are the pics
Hi guys, i finally took apart the cross feed on my 16" and discovered what some Lug Nut did to it probably 20 years ago. He made a cross feed nut and machined out the bottom side of the casting to mount it. Does any body know how interchangable these are ? Mine is a single tumbler, will the casting from a double tumbler work as well. As now i am on a search for a new casting. Thanx Barry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 113
I need to get a new screw too because it is very sloppy where it meets up with the key in the pinion (i believe) it is 5/8" threaded rod going into 11/16" bore where the key way is. So my thoughts are that i might as well get the screw repaired, get a new nut, and a different casting and fix it correctly.

My 16 had a bent compound screw when I got it, I ordered a new screw and matching nut from Brian Miller at [email protected]
It was a perfect fit, just had to mill a pin keyway where the ball crank attaches.
He also supplies a nut with a guide hole so you can drill a hole for a pin if you prefer.

I just checked his website, looks like he is not accepting any new orders right now.
I’ll still post this just in case anyone else has a lead for you.

By the way, the machining of the casting- that’s not just the extra holes right? The large pocket is stock and the nut sits in there.

The one on the right is the new one with matching nut.

ab4efc1f000ed522f27bced06b9a5b73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure those 4 extra holes was just to make a home made nut work. You could tap the holes and plug them to keep debris from going down. Cross feed nuts may need to be adjusted up or down to keep screw from binding or turning hard, maybe thats why it was butchered instead of modifying the nut. Nuts may need to be shimmed or height removed to get nice free screw movement.

Could repair your original casting with a bushing for lead screw also if need be.

Back