What's new
What's new

Cross feed gear noise on Southbend Heavy 10

indisguise

Plastic
Hi Folks,

I just replaced my cross feed screw on my heavy 10. Now the cross feed seems noisy when interfacing with the cross feed gear on the apron. Any ideas if this is normal? Attaching a video for reference.

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dvh805Pl2wLBJ5ZiuyLWEBwz26YwCRce/view?usp=sharing[/video]

I cant view the vid currently, but crossfeed turns very very slow. I can only imagine zero backlash between gear teeth to the point that gears are in a bind. Due to it turning so slow, excessive backash would be silent.

If not that i would guess crossfeed gear is sitting in or out a little more than old one. So you may be at one end of gear cut, which ramps up. Look at old crossfeed gear, the wear pattern, or better yet, show is pics, lol.

I can tell you on a taper attachment crossfeed, though gear teeth are long, it rides close to end of gear tooth cut. With gear cutter being round, it leaves a ramp at end of cut.

Either way, id highly recommend not running it till problem is solved. Could be wrecking gear teeth.

Edit: how does it turn by hand, nice or bindy ? If good, maybe some chips or other debris fell into apron during replacement.

I myself have this problem. I just within the last two or three weeks replaced my Cross slide screw. And got the Clickily Click Click when turning the cross slide screw. I took it out and measured it all ways possible checked the apron drive gear all looks good and measured exactly the same as the old screw. Had the supplier send me a new one still get the clickily, Both replacement show excellent workmanship first class all the way. It has both the supplier and myself scratching are heads.:scratchchin:
Chet

Cross slide screw  gear 1.jpg
Just read the Texasgunsmith post. Had a second gear made with the gears cut straight all the away with no ramp or taper at the end as they are cut as original. The drive gears looks like new no measurable wear can be seen and no bending very smooth turning still the click's all most no backlack (.005 or less) with both new screws. I even put .010 shim stock between the cross slide and apron still just to check thing out still got the clicks then I removed the shims and am just going to let it click seem as it not hurting any thing. I might some time in the near future check it out more. As it is it's not bending any at all and is very smooth turning.

Having seen the vid now, I'd be curious if the noise is still there if you crack apron loose.

Not enough to put pressure on main lead screw. Just bust loose the 4 or so screws loose in saddle that hold apron up. Maybe let it drop .010" to .020". See if noise changes or stops.

Edit: Also, what holds crossfeed nut up ? If it is a screw or bolt, might try loosening it as well, in case it needs to be shimmed. Might be putting odd pressure on thrust bearings, if you have them, or gear teeth.

Not impossible something going on with thrust bearings also, if you have them. might loosen crossfeed hand wheel to relax pressure, and see what it does.

Last edited:

Back