What's new
What's new

South Bend CS 33 Geared Head Lathe.

ja762

Aluminum
I recently came across a South Bend geared head lathe for sale. It has a tag on it which reads CS 33, which I assume is the model #.
I have searched and can find no info on it. It looks to me like it is possibly one of the Spanish-made ones.
Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated. For 1k it looks like it might be a steal, but I would like to have a clue about it before I drive an hour to look at it.

CS33.jpg

CS33 2.jpg

That's a re-badged Webb lathe. At the end of SBL they were re-badging the Webb lathe to sell. I almost bought one, kind of wish I had bought it. They are made in Korea only made for a few years. Parts may be available thru Grizzley, if you ever match i up with one their lathes they sell.

I recently came across a South Bend geared head lathe for sale. It has a tag on it which reads CS 33, which I assume is the model #.
I have searched and can find no info on it. It looks to me like it is possibly one of the Spanish-made ones.
Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated. For 1k it looks like it might be a steal, but I would like to have a clue about it before I drive an hour to look at it.

View attachment 268201

View attachment 268200
The CS33 was made in Spain by METOSA. South Bend imported them for a few years, then Clausing picked them up. You should be able to get parts from them.
(I still have a few parts)
Ted

I bought this CS-33 Lathe

The CS33 was made in Spain by METOSA. South Bend imported them for a few years, then Clausing picked them up. You should be able to get parts from them.
Ted

I am a new member to this site. I have used it often but have never had much to contribute.
I just bought this lathe, it came with the motor detached the owner was trying to convert it to 120v. I put the motor back in and it runs beautiful, smooth and quiet in all gears. Ways are perfect and the minimal slop in cross feeds. Spindle play is less than .00025. It is definitely a big upgrade from my 9x48 61-A South Bend from 1936.

The only things missing are the end stops and spacers that hold the quick change drive gears on the shafts. I can make them if I know what the look like.
Southbend/Grizzly can't help, they say they have no info on that model which seems strange. Clausing was somewhat helpful they sent me some manuals on their older metosa machines but the gear boxes on their machines are not the same. Other parts should interchange though.
I really want a manual for this machine or one like it.
I am also interested in any parts that you have for it.

Thanks,
CL4

Ted

Hum, I swear up and down that someone told me that the was a rebadged Webb lathe. The reason I say that, I looked at one about 10 years ago that had been flipped over on it's back and heavily damaged. From comments that were made here that's what I was told. Thank you for correcting me on my comment. Ken

I am a new member to this site. I have used it often but have never had much to contribute.
I just bought this lathe, it came with the motor detached the owner was trying to convert it to 120v. I put the motor back in and it runs beautiful, smooth and quiet in all gears. Ways are perfect and the minimal slop in cross feeds. Spindle play is less than .00025. It is definitely a big upgrade from my 9x48 61-A South Bend from 1936.

The only things missing are the end stops and spacers that hold the quick change drive gears on the shafts. I can make them if I know what the look like.
Southbend/Grizzly can't help, they say they have no info on that model which seems strange. Clausing was somewhat helpful they sent me some manuals on their older metosa machines but the gear boxes on their machines are not the same. Other parts should interchange though.
I really want a manual for this machine or one like it.
I am also interested in any parts that you have for it.

Thanks,
CL4

I have a manual.
Send me an email
Ted
[email protected]

Back