What's new
What's new

cross slide nut mod

iwananew10K

Diamond
this started as a nut for a machine with a taper attachment but it would be even easier with a standard nut.
the nut extension is tapped through 3/8"/16 tpi and the slotted cone screw is tapped through 10/24 tpi for the oiling hole plug.
all parts except the nut itself is made from 12l14 steel.

1349640630.jpg
1349641417.jpg

or for the standard cross slide nut.
this is a direct fit in the standard SB nut, no modifications needed except to drill a 1/32" or so hole in the nut for the oil to get through.
kind of testing the waters here, if there is interest i may make a batch. :)

1349734615.jpg

I was wondering if the screw is cast iron? Seems like a soft metal would such a nut wear the screw threads out? I do agree though very nice work

for clarity,here is a pic of the part next to an original.
original on left, new part with provision for oiling on right.

i don`t know why SB never did this, most other manufacturers seem to have some provision for oiling the cross feed screw.
my Sheldon has a similar arrangement from the factory, and even though it`s nearly 60 years old, the acme screw and the nut are still like new.

1349791907.jpg

Like the idea so would you put a felt in bottom of hole so oil would not just run out? REstoring 10 k so it would just replace the screw that is there. Have new nut to put in when iam ready to put back together.

i just put a little bit of cotton in the bottom on mine- just something to act as a filter to catch any little chips that may fall in.
they are easy to make, and make a good project too.
everything is done on the lathe in one set-up.

I like the idea, and as I said, nice work. On my 13"SB, I added a Gitz cup on the main Apron handwheel to supply oil to it, as suggested my some. Was thinking about doing the same on the cross slide in line with the screw shaft. Anyone else done this modification? .......................Rick

On my 13"SB, I added a Gitz cup on the main Apron handwheel to supply oil to it, as suggested my some. Was thinking about doing the same on the cross slide in line with the screw shaft. Anyone else done this modification? .......................Rick

Yeah, an old thread, but I think a flush mounted ball oiler would be less prone to getting knocked about and snagged than a GITS oiler at that particular location.

View attachment 311033

Back