What's new
What's new

Cross slide screw repair

garyphansen

Titanium
IM000284-1.jpg

I got a new piece of LH Acme thread screw from Steve Wells a while back. I finally found a "Round to it" so I decided to fix a badly worn cross slide screw. The center of the screw was worn so bad the threads came to points. Anyway they normally cut off the screw at the gear and drill the gear and ream to .250" then turn an end of the new screw down to fit the hole. I did this one the reverse way (Because I could not find my split screw driver to take off the nut.) anyway I set up the existing cross slide screw in a four jaw chuck and adjusted it until I had .0005" runout. I set up the bushing behind the dial in my steady rest. The steady rest held the bushing stationary while the screw and handle turned. I then turned off the threads down to .250" X 1.5" long. More to come. Gary P. Hansen

Last edited:
IM000286.jpg

Here I am reaming out the hold I drilled with a letter drill to .251" with a chucking reamer. The lathe is running but my camera stopped the action. Gary P. Hansen

IM000288.jpg

Here is the completed repair. I put Permatex High Strength Threadlocker Red on the .250 Dia X 1.5" shaft I turned down on the original screw and slid it into the hole in the new screw. I should add that I left the diameter of the shaft of the original screw large enough to be a press fit for the last 3/8" before the gear. Maybe I should also pin it or may be not. Gary P. Hansen

Total time around five years putting it off and about an hour working on it. It should make a big difference with this repair and a new cross slide nut.

Last edited:
Nice job, but how did you control the cross slide whilst it's screw was in the chuck? ;)

I only have one lathe, I guess I need to bite the bullet and measure up my cross feed screw, then reassemble it and use it to turn a new one......

I have to say, I would pin your joint out of paranoia, even if I should never be driving a tool hard enough to make it slip the 'what if' would always nag me :)

"Nice job, but how did you control the cross slide whilst it's screw was in the chuck?"

I have more than one cross slide screw and more than one lathe. Yes, you are right maybe I will pin it after all. Gary P. Hansen

Jim
I'm waiting for a round tuit as well. Since I have only one lathe the plan is to lock the cross slide gib as tight as possible and only use the compound for the crossfeed.

JohnW

Nice job, but how did you control the cross slide whilst it's screw was in the chuck? ;)

I only have one lathe, I guess I need to bite the bullet and measure up my cross feed screw, then reassemble it and use it to turn a new one......

I have to say, I would pin your joint out of paranoia, even if I should never be driving a tool hard enough to make it slip the 'what if' would always nag me :)

Round Tuit

I have a friend that actually has a "round tuit". It is a washer about 1 1/2" with the works round tuit stamped into it. He has carried it so long, it looks like a worry coin someone has carried for years. When I first saw it I asked what the heck it was and he explained. I always wanted to get a round tuit, so one day, I got one...here it is.

Eric

Yep, mine is similar, but the dovetails are also worn in the corresponding area so I have a bit more work to do.

Do you think it would help if I made myself a round tuit?

Round toits always come in handy. To fix worn dovetails you need a mill. Normally some will need to be taken off on both sides of the dovetail (Or the cross slide screw will no longer be centered.) After milling the left side would need to be shimmed and a larger gib fitted to the right side.

Another possibility is a product called moleice (I likely spelled it wrong) it can be added to the worn areas of the dove tail. I have never used it but I think Mr. Turk may have, so you could ask him. Gary P. Hansen

leadscrew repair

If anyone is interested I sell repair kits to do this exact repair. Comes with new nut and a lenth acme rod to repair your leadscrew. This is big bang for your buck repair for sure. If interested call or text 913 636 6107. Thanks Mike

Another possibility is a product called moleice (I likely spelled it wrong)
Gary it's Moglice, or another brand is Turcite. Frequently discussed in the Monarch forum.
Nice job on the renewal, did you do the work on the LeBlond? (102 years old now? )

"Nice job on the renewal, did you do the work on the LeBlond? (102 years old now?"

No I use the South Bend to repair the South bend I had an extra cross slide screw.

I have been using the LeBlond to make a new Ball handle for the South Bend's cross slide. I am making a larger one that came with it. A larger handle will make accuracy easier becaust it takes less effort to turn.

My LeBlond is only 101 years old and almost broke in. My house is 108 and I had an Aunt that was over 105 when she passed on. At 105 she could still spell better than I can.
Gary P. Hansen

pricing

Well the 9,10" south bends would be $60 which includes a new nut and shipping but I can also offer kits for any lathe I make nuts for. If you have any questions about any kits feel free to call. Thanks Mike

I just want to add that I never did pin the parts together. all I used was the Permatex High Strength Threadlocker Red and about 3/8" of press fit. I have taken some heavy cuts and so far there has been no problems. Gary P. Hansen

If you had a reasonable press-up at all on the parts, Gary, the thread locker is nowhere
to be seen at the joint. The press fit is doing all the work. My guess is you could
easily shear the dutchman pin or snap the handle off that assembly before the
press fit would let loose!

Jim

Back