It is a mode 9A
CL8344Z Undermount motor, 3.5' bed

The bed numbers say:
32977NKR8 (front rail)
813 (vertical on mid rail)
UBD101NK or back rail

Thanks!
Scott

Why? ? ? Why does it really even matter? If it is in good condition and still makes good parts, the D.O.M. is really not very important. The model and catalog number are for chasing parts (for it) But the date? ? If it is really that important to you, you could spend $25 with Grizzly to get the info and production card. It wasn't to me.........

I have a Heavy 10, it still makes nice parts, if it was 10 years newer or older it would have no effect on how it works..............

And, besides, why would anyone want to date your lathe? ? I have a rather cute wife...........................

Frank

SBL Serial Number File

According to this, and based on your serial number, it looks like about 1953 to me.

No, it doesn't really matter how old it is, but why not find out if you can? To me, I just like to know how old my equipment is. If we're talking about vintage equipment, age is one of the things that comes up.

Vince

Your lathe was made sometime in 1953.

"Why? ? ? Why does it really even matter? "

Why does it matter that the sky is blue?. Do we need to know why?,

YES WE DO!!.
Knowledge is one of the things that makes us different than the animals. In some cases it's the only thing.

There are several reasons why someone might want to know when they're lathe was made.

1: historical significance. The history of their machine may be important to them.

2: Parts. When it was made is important when buying parts. For instance the bed gap on my 1942 lathe was slightly wider than the bed that I purchased to replace it, which was made in 1947. The headstock, tailstock and steady rest clamps had to be changed as well.

There maybe other reasons necessary for their use. Just knowing how old their machine is this a good step in knowing their machine.

Never question why someone wants to learn. Only question the sanity if they want to do something stupid like jump out of an airplane, without a parachute. It's okay if the plane is on the ground. But at 10,000 feet??.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

The date of manufacture is an interesting tidbit of info regarding a lathe. However, before getting all wound up about the date, keep in mind that the serial number stamped in the bed gets you the date that the bed was made and not necessarily the rest of the lathe. I found that out with my Heavy 10. According to the serial number and the data card I bought from Grizzly, it was made in 1958. However, it has a segmented iron bearing headstock which dates back to the '40's some time. They style of the tailstock tells me it doesn't go with the headstock. In the end, it doesn't really matter all that much since the thing cuts straight and the center of the spindle is in line with the center of the tailstock.

If I found/bought an old car from the 40's or 50's that was in very, very good condition, there may be no practical reason to need to know its age I agree. But I'd want to, just because. It's an antique. Is it enough to say antique is enough? Maybe, but one of the pleasures of having this old (and in very very good condition) lathe, is that is is old and American, and not a Chinese "kit". That is still works well after it's age is a source of price of ownership, and part of the fun of owning it. For me at least.

As for parts, the provenance of the lathe implies it was not built from pieces. All indications are that it is as it came from the factory.

When Goggling on the topic, I saw where someone said Le Blonde had taken over the database and one guy got the ship date of his lathe by calling them. It was an old post and didn't know if it held true today, I thought grizzly bought what was left of them.

Here's a (dirty) picture of it.

DSC07220.jpg

That lathe doesn't look very dirty to me. Which brings to mind anytime I see a Lathethat is that clean, It makes me want to look at it even harder to see if it's just been painted. And what problems were just painted over.

If that lathe has factory paint on it, it has not been used very much.??. Post more pictures of it when you can.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I dated all 3 of my lathes. I have the cards for all 3 but the oldest one is wrong on the date by a few years. It was the old penciled in a big book with not much info. I wish I had some info on my SBL shaper but there is no SN...Bob

Getting a copy of the card is nice, I have them for mine, but, you have to remember that most of these old American made lathes have changed hands several times in their lifetimes. I've been to several machinery/industrial auctions where an individual buys several machines of the same type where one or more is damaged, and they're going to make "one good one out of two or three" and part the rest out. I've seen lathes with incorrect tailstocks, and various other discrepancies. Machinery that's 40,50, 60 yrs old, has been broken/worn and repaired, and a lot of times it was repaired the "least expensive" route. This might include installing orphan or bastard parts that "fit"...and might not have been scraped in. Unless you buy from the machines original and only purchaser, you can't really be sure what you're getting. PB

Your lathe was shipped in Nov or Dec of 1953, UMD with Metal column base 12 speed drive Tool Room model. Nice! one of the best Workshops made.

Steve Wells

Last edited:

Back