What's new
What's new

Deal or No Deal on South Bend 10" Lathe

dodgediesel2

Plastic
Let me begin with this...I am a rookie when it comes to machining. I am an experienced (hobbyist) welder looking to expand his skills and his shop. I do side work when I have time and usually gross $15-25K a year on the side. I know nothing about lathes and what to look for or keep an eye out for when it comes to purchasing one. I do have a buddy who works at a machine shop that can give me some pointers, but thats about it.

I came across a craigslist add today for a SB 10" lathe. He's asking $2k OBO. He sent me a few pics, but I have no idea what Im looking at and what to look for as far as quality, durability, and so on. All I know is SB is a helluva lathe and Im hoping this might be a good buy. The serial number is 1175RKL8.

Here is what the guy texted me back about the add:

"It is wired for 110v"
"It comes with some tooling"
"It runs"
"It needs to be cleaned and lubed"
"Im selling it cuz I haven't used it in 5 years"

Here are the pics he texted me

Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 282
  • 55173323726__3B277470-97DC-4E9A-9C07-3D20CEE1A4D2.jpg
    55173323726__3B277470-97DC-4E9A-9C07-3D20CEE1A4D2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 55173321571__AFF59EFC-7800-4033-B3FB-B3310B958E76.jpg
    55173321571__AFF59EFC-7800-4033-B3FB-B3310B958E76.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 357
  • 55173321370__B1E67DB5-61D3-4D13-936E-FE436B44C089.jpg
    55173321370__B1E67DB5-61D3-4D13-936E-FE436B44C089.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 55173320163__54D28CEA-3299-423E-B6F5-88240536B2D6.jpg
    55173320163__54D28CEA-3299-423E-B6F5-88240536B2D6.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 305
I wouldn't pay that much

It looks like more than five years of dirt + moisture= rust

It also looks like it's sitting outside.

It does have a milling attachment - which may be handy, or may be sold to reduce your costs.

500 bucks maybe if you want to clean it all.

$2000 for that? I don't think so! Given the layers of crud on everything, it's been sitting idle for years. To me, that signifies profound neglect. Plus, it's the "older" style lathe with the single tumbler gear box which is an additional negative.

Since you won't know what you have until after you get it and clean up everything, I would not go much beyond the $500 mentioned in a previous post. It could be a crud-covered gem, in practically new condition under all that but I seriously doubt it.

If I were you, I'd keep looking unless you have a gambler streak.

Plus, it's the "older" style lathe with the single tumbler gear box which is an additional negative.

That gearbox has the same number of speeds as the double tumbler with five holes on the left. Some people think they are more rugged. I wouldn't dismiss it based on that.

I certainly wouldn't pay $2,000 for it, but from what I have heard from others, lathes are not as easy to find in Texas as they are up here in the northeast.

Steve

You could sell the milling attachment for maybe $300.

I texted him earlier today stating all of yalls concerns. I offered him $500-750, depending in person inspection. He said he’d think about it and get back with me.

"Im selling it cuz I haven't used it in 5 years" is much better than "Im flipping a machine I know nothing about"

Good to ask "is anything broken? Have you turned straight parts, and run good threads?"

Look at his tractor and other stuff to see he take care of his stuff.
Notice to see it has only surface rust and is not pitted.
Does it have a taper attachment?
You don't want to move much with all that surface rust.
A ton of old tool bits and and the like can mean it came for working 24-7 in a job shop...

Nice looking with old original paint it could go for $2000 or so, Mint even more but nice looking doesn't count for much

"Im flipping a machine I know nothing about"

Like the local guy that bought a building with a bunch of machines, and when they sold the building, they tried selling the machines listing them as "like new".

The heavy 10 has so much bed wear you could measure it with a ruler, and the 9A has a broken apron casting.

When they had to move the machines out of the sold building, they put them on a truck and they've been trying to sell them out of the truck.

Steve

I texted him earlier today stating all of yalls concerns. I offered him $500-750, depending in person inspection. He said he’d think about it and get back with me.

I have always found that offers over the phone are easily rejected, it is best to be standing there cash in hand. Of course if it is too far away, phone offer is the best you can do. For $2000 you can get a lot better machine, keep looking. $500ish range is best I would offer on that machine from the pics, but a personal inspection would be required, and who knows, there could be lots more tooling that is not pictured.

I asked him yesterday if he has thought about my offer. He hasn't responded. He is about 2 hours from me. I guess thats a no. Oh well. Thanks for all the great advice. If he changes his mind, I'll take a trip down there and keep yall posted.

From my experience the "good" lathes for sale in Texas start at $2000.00. Anything less than that is an unknown or well worn.

Lots of old ranchers and oilfield guys that don't know how to properly care for these machines. They pop up on craigslist and other classifieds routinely, and you can get decent deals if you know what you are looking for and and can look past the gunk and rust (I'm in coastal Texas. Machines will rust overnight). But if you want a cared for machine with little wear, you'll need funds.

That said, If I was able to physically inspect the lathe for wear and damage, I wouldn't go higher that $1000.00. If it was set-up and running and you could take some test cuts, MAYBE $2000.00. As always, just depends on what you've seen available to you and how bad you want it.

I have sold several things on Craiglist including several South Bend lathes. If someone makes an offer over the phone. I automatically reject it. I figure if they are not serious enough to come it, they don't want it. They are just throwing crap against the wall, seeing if anything sticks.

I have sold several things on Craiglist including several South Bend lathes. If someone makes an offer over the phone. I automatically reject it. I figure if they are not serious enough to come it, they don't want it. They are just throwing crap against the wall, seeing if anything sticks.

Yep, I tell people straight up that I do not negotiate price over the phone, show up, bring cash, and we can probably make a deal, most never show, oh well, I don't sell junk.

I wouldn't discount a machine based on being dirty and looking neglected. Under that mess could be a lightly used Heavy 10. The seller could wake up one morning and decide he just wants it gone.

That sir is called a pig in a poke.... It might be a great deal.... then again it might not be....
For 3k I know of a 10K with everything but the milling attachment. And this lathe is ready to go to work now...

Back