What's new
What's new

Differences Between 10L Tailstock T-103R and Tailstock T-104R

SLK001

Stainless
In a recent post about tailstock Unit Codes, I found out that two SB tailstocks for the heavy 10 had two different Unit Codes.

Today I investigated the differences. First off, the two top castings are the same (50R2). The two bases superficially look the same, but the older casting number is 51R2 and the newer is 51R3. I didn't remove the bases from the main casting to see any differences on the top side. The newer TS is on the right, the older on the left.

DSCI1957.jpg

The newer TS spindle has a key that extends the entire length of the spindle. This may NOT be factory, as the pin that is supposed to hold the key to the spindle is not there, but there is a hole. Probably only gunk is holding the key in place.

DSCI1961.jpg

The only noticeable difference is shown in the following picture. There is a stud that prevents the lower spindle lock wedge from falling out of the casting.

DSCI1962.jpg

However, that stud is NOT listed as a part in the 12-95 parts catalog for the TS.

TS_ASSEM.jpg

That is great info...a guy that needs a tailstock for a 9" jr or wide bed can get the older design and cut the base down a tad...cool!

Here is a comparison of two tailstock base plates, on the left is the 51R1, on the right is a 51R3. The big difference is that the R1 does not have wipers.

I just purchased the 51R1 from Grizzly and I think I will return it. I could modify it on the mill to accept wipers in the front, but there's not quite enough meat not he casting to install wipers on the back.

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

Back