What's new
What's new

differences in insert type threading tools

jmm03

Hot Rolled
Hello all, what if anything is the difference between the type that sits horizontally in the tool holder and the type that sits vertically? I use the type that is in the vertical orientation and have no problems threading. Pros and cons would be appreciated before I buy another for the shop. (and yes, I can grind my own out of hi speed and still do, but the convenience of an insert makes life a lot simpler ...) Thanks, Jim

Not a whole lot of difference in how they work. I use the horizontal type, and it's my impression there are more size options in the horizontal style (so you can go smaller on ID threading), but since I haven't gone shopping seriously for the vertical style I could be mistaken.

There are a couple of styles of horizontal inserts available.
I use the Snap Tap type.
The advantage I see is that there are full form inserts available that machine the top of the thread.
With the full form, once you know the final O.D. for the thread you are cutting, a simple O.D. measurement is all that is needed for the next parts you are making.
There are partial form inserts available too.

Bill

I find that I almost always use a Dorian AXA stand-up threading tool with my heavy 10. It gives me substantially more clearance so that I can work close to a center, and up close to the chuck relative to my lay-down tools, so I can thread thinner stock without deflection, and essentially any single-point thread profile you want is available, usually fairly economically. (and it's more rigid than the lathe is). Of course, one can't use full profile inserts ...

The availability of quality inserts in every possible profile makes it a no-brainer for me.

7ytxkDOKA31kzXwOZuwbJE2Ra5MNyezmAy7_-K-9rFIzo-Q2S5XIRCa_b7KxnwfzQZWFpY60qokQJ0rv7VpfEWbtktoydVF8P6Eo42XMC0quBVPT5zfCejzq7cUwANoGmMlXMxAMrq9MbcVT6x8MIeAlVOnB99E4INEYFVgzP4_y3nXDAV3v5qiU2dUXDtwGWvveqAPYExhvngO0fjVwr4D0jJUoO10a6nVeSw2nhyQogXuFDjLxJsueR5OPfrTGcbVnrlmykdmiY7o4Eqf9Sq7gEBiBjiiROAPUqTjvBJq00yPuE9T9MFtvub2BUW4AuqAortdiIHCObAxToojImokIdek4LC0ReaOWpR6LNtVDhXz4x7IAzv9KCQPkEBXUPA6XvKRMAVUEzepNp1aH-RV4FgNJiWMmsTAtTv4y8xKUHnUAY_1PjI9QRMVv9w1ISoF3_p2frW1ejkC5uPnURn4_46tgI01FRQDOm8fcrIaGZqg_oY7XKXA7CDreJGFXpF8Gdu5_9LKx6EmayvJt-fC5YJdpb0dQBoumP2GmWOV-odcjKCsd-Dwp5TkIw7ZfGzWPtufo2w9zi9eE9qAfOa3m0b1We_lkrwIKZslw929LCNyPt7wt2L3mKO4vhjOnjycPwRgRDi6-tudQzdDiWYrtAMrSRnKp6w=w1024

My experience is that the lay down style can be made for the intended thread pitch, so you can thread closer to a shoulder. With vertical inserts you are limited to half the thickness of the insert, at least with the ones I've seen.

Back