What's new
What's new

Disassembling the handwheel collet assembly on a 9A

500mpxlcameraguy

Aluminum
Hi folks, I was just trying to remove the hand wheel from a SB collet tube and it seems as if there are 2 blind pins and a set screw that hold the wheel making it impossible without drilling out the pins ....does this sound correct? I need to replace the tube anyway because the threads for the collets are ruined but any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.

view this as more of a bump than a definitive reply...

I do not recall a set screw...but there were 2 little pins though the handwheel casting into the tube..the casting will crack in a heartbeat, and the pins are not on center so you gotta remove one at a time...v block in an arbor press if possible....in hindsight if I had to do it again I think I would turn up a tight fitting "spool" to insert in the end to avoid tube deformation....if you are going to drill them out I would instead use an end mill...if you have a mill...of course once removed the pins are useless so you gotta use larger ones or make new holes.

come to think of it, I would not even bother with fixing it....make a whole new improved one with a real thrust bearing...the 10" and up had one but the 9" didn't...or at least mine didn't.ÿ
I prefer the handwheel type but the actual handwheel really sucks...in my mind a solid non spoked "disc" with some spanner holes would be much easier to use...if you have the spindle protector you could make it the same diameter and use the same spanner wrench.

Again this is more of a bump as my memory may be a bit cloudy.

Ps- you can also just buy or make a new threaded end, cut the old one off and silver solder the new piece in the old tube....someone actually sells those on ebay.

Thank you for the “Bump” with lots of information and ideas. There is someone on eBay who sells an 18” length of tubing with the correct thread for the 3C collets. I was just going to try to replace the tubing but you are right.... only a bit more work to make the whole thing with thrust bearing and hand wheel (I also don’t like the old SB wheel)

Thanks again for your help and ideas.

I made my own with a purchased tube for my 13" SB. Used a SB 9" thrust bearing for it and a scooter wheel for the handwheel. Hub design to match available stock, thrust bearing and the scooter wheel.
100_0044.jpg
My SB 9" draw tube with handwheel is behind.
100_0063.jpg
Milling the half round hole in the 5C tube.
100_0065.jpg
Without changing position, mount handwheel hub and mill starting point for drill, then swap to drill and drill through for assembly pin.
100_0297.jpg
Finished.

John

Back