Disaster - toppled new to me 13”... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i feel your pain i to had a horrible fright experience day before yesterday but not near as bad as you did . hope you manage to fix it al

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig1017 View Post
    Attachment 256839
    Attachment 256840
    Attachment 256841
    Attachment 256842

The carnage ...

Looks like crossfeed and compound handwheels, I think I can make the compound bolt. Maybe buy a 4” hand wheel and machine it to fit the cross feed.

Both handles for the quick change gear box. The handle for the belt tension - I think this one can be brazed, or maybe tig welded w Si-Bronze. I think the slotted alignment tab on the underside of the gearbox can be pounded out. And somehow the gib for the compound broke.

A few screws to reattach the gearbox. Definitely still salvagible, but I’ll have to chase a few parts.

I’m still baffled that the dollies failed - the bolts are made out of some very porous casted type material, that is what failed, and the whole thing toppled to the right when pushing it into the shop.
    Yeah, you sure you don't need some new screws? They snapped clean off, not sure you're gonna fix those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by naru View Post
    Yeah, you sure you don't need some new screws? They snapped clean off, not sure you're gonna fix those.
    A pretty high probability they are bent too

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is this HF I hear you guys talk about - is it a discount store or something?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming not satire, Harbor Freight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh yeah of course Harbor Freight - but what is it, kinda like a hobby store?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    Hazard Fraught Tools flyer - Album on Imgur it's this! But really, it's like a worse nothern tool. Cheapest chinesium money can buy. You get what you pay for, and alllll the liability you can stomach.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    Google is your friend. Huge company selling tools, shop supplies, small engines, compressors, generators, saws, you name it. Problem is it's product generally out of China. Overall quality has improved to some extent but it's a matter of buy at your own risk/ ya get what you pay for. I've had reasonably good success but I've been around tools long enough (usually) to recognise what i can live with when bought on the cheap.

Naru beat me to the punch, glad it wasn't a quick draw contest..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love the Hazard Fraught Tools flyer!
    I’ve been looking for a nail straightener but didn’t know that the correct name was “nail unbender”

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m still baffled that the dollies failed - the bolts are made out of some very porous casted type material, that is what failed
    Really? Baffled? Are you really that surprised that a company known for importing the cheapest possible tools from a country with the worst record for QA would use craptastic bolts to hold things together?

and the whole thing toppled to the right when pushing it into the shop.
    Was there a joint in the concrete at that point to impart a sideways force?

Were these the ones? Curious how you had the lathe placed on the dollies?

Teryk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67338_w3.jpg  
    Last edited by mTeryk; 05-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Threads like this are good to get the word out about harbor freight for the un initiated. Thanks for posting your mishap. HARBOR FREIGHT SUCKS
    I feel your pain. The handles can be nicely brazed as others advise. Cast iron brazes well also although parts with critical alignment extra care should be taken.
    I quit harbor freight when a dead blow hammer bought there shattered hitting me in the face. Their plastic gets brittle in cold temperatures. How can they not consider temperature effecting their product? Especially a hammer. I was wearing glasses.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bummer for the OP.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m still baffled that the dollies failed
    I have never liked moving things with dollies. There are numerous ways it can go wrong. There may have been another issue right before the dolly collapsed. How many dollies did you use? Were they attached to the lathe? With four, you can easily lose one on a slightly non-planar surface. Did you push or pull the lathe? Did you apply force low on the lathe, or near the top of it?

If you used four dollies, and the surface was not perfectly planar, all of the weight would be distributed between two dollies at times. So, you might have briefly had ~600# on the dolly at the tailstock end and 1,000# on the dolly at the headstock end. If you hit a crack or bump, the sudden stop could have easily converted the momentum into hundreds of pounds of force on the stopped dolly. The dolly may have been capable of handling a static 1,500# load, but your dynamic load may have briefly been much higher.

14. Likes packrat2 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My deepest sympathy Craig. I can imagine the sick churning feeling in the stomach that came with the disaster.
    On the 11th of this month (May) I brought home my SB13 from 350 miles away on a 15 foot U-Haul van. The seller was just outside of Montreal and didn't speak English, but his son did. When I arrived the lathe was already bolted onto a skid, they also had a fork lift on site. The seller was a retired Apple and Maple sugar farmer. I had decided to build a couple of dollies to mount the lathe to before leaving on the trip, as the plan was to roll it off the U_Haul into my garage. I even spaced the Home Depot casters to run within the rails of the U_Haul ramp. As fate would have it, the cherry picker I planned to use was 6" too short and all the ideas we were coming up with just didn't seem safe. The sticker on the end of the ramp said "Maximum 1000 lbs", so much for rolling the lathe down. Long story short, we ended up renting a fork lift ($350.00 CDN), lifted the machine off the truck and placed it gently on my garage floor where it's being fully rebuilt.
    The photo shows the home made dolly. 2X6 frame glued together, sandwiched, lots more glue and screwed between 3/4" (30 year old) MDF board. The 4" casters were bolted into the 2X6. This arrangement supported the lathe on the 350 mile journey home. We don't have HF here in Canada, but I do like to browse the store when I'm visiting upstate NY. If I buy much, it's usually consumables or stuff that really doesn't matter. We have Princess Auto around these parts, don't really frequent that place either, but their Asian stuff isn't too bad, depends what you're buying. I've learnt over the years to pay the extra and buy once. I hope some good has or will come out of your unfortunate mishap. You didn't get hurt, that's a huge blessing.
    img_sb_13.jpg
    Last edited by Raydel; 05-25-2019 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Image missing

16. Likes packrat2 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Through some much appreciated generosity in the way of discounted repair parts from a couple board members I will be slowly piecing this lathe back together. Screws are being made, belt tension lever and some linkage parts have been found. A few handwheels from eBay, and with any luck I’ll get the change gear levers brazed this weekend.

One piece that still eludes me is a cross feed gib. I’m hoping someone parting out a lathe may have one sitting on a shelf?

Craig

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [ the bolts are made out of some very porous casted type material, that is what failed,] That is good to know, thanks.

Sorry for your loss, agree brae wheels you cant find.

[And somehow the gib for the compound broke.]
    Guess if you get that far just mill one out of brass for a temp gib.

South Bend Lathe Gib NOS Unknown Lathe or Mistake | eBay