What's new
What's new

does anyone have a C744A 16 speed SB 9A Bench model

bubby-joe

Plastic
I have and i need help with the 2 speed motor belt tension. It used a 5L belt from the motor 2 step style 2 A pulley to the 2 step counter shaft pulley, Mine has a cast tab on the pulley side with a pin and a threaded hole looks similar to an automotive spring loaded belt tensioner. On the 2 speed motor systems is the belt normally tensioned with a tensioner to make changing speeds easier. If your reading this and have some sort of spring loaded tensioner I can duplicate a tensioner from a picture, none of the SB 9 inch manuals show any tensioner but most pictures are of the single speed counter shaft pulleys and not the 2 speed stepped pulley.

To my knowledge, South Bend never used a spring-loaded Belt tensioner on the 9N Lathe. Regardless of whether it used a 2 step Pulley or a single Pulley. It does not matter. The belt was tensioned by moving the motor. Once the motor was tension for one belt, The belt tension should be close for both. However the : : cone pulley is a different story. The pulleys are not closely matched So each time you change the belt position you will need to retention the belt.

If your motor belt is tight on one pulley but loose on the other, You may have the wrong pulley.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I've got all the 2 step pulley dimensions with ID's OD's width and depth of belt grooves the problem is if I move from low step to high step on counter shaft and motor pulleys and there is any mismatch then it makes sense to have belt adjustment for the hi low speed change and a tensioner is a good idea. I eventually want to convert to a treadmill motor with a flywheel that means turning a new flywheel with the proper sized 2 step pulley to fit the treadmill motor. If anyone has a picture or a tensioner please show me. The threaded hole and pin on my 16 speed motor/countershaft bracket must have been for something in the 20's when this was built they would not do it this way unless it was easier, not cheaper to add to the motor bracket but may be exclusive to the 16 speed's only and a tensioner would not be required on any single speed pulley setup.

Funny here 9N is an early ford tractor had one......

Looking closer and removing old paint on the countershaft bracket/motor mount in the upper left where the motor is bolted Southbend manuals say there is a number there, mine is HD-201N now this model bracket may be exclusive to the 16 speed but it does show where some form of bracket was bolted to the pin and threaded bolt hole in question.

Looking closer at the countershaft bracket/motor mount in the upper left where the motor is bolted Southbend manuals say there is a number there, mine is HD-201N now this model bracket may be exclusive to the 16 speed but it does show where some form of bracket was bolted to the pin and threaded bolt hole in question.

It sounds like you are describing the pin and tapped hole used to mount the belt guard for the motor/CS. It was an option.
A picture would help.
Ted

BTW: I know of no spring loaded belt tensioner supplied by SBL for the motor/CS pulley

coming up if I'm allowed to do small pictures picture 970 last 3 numbers is the question area

The pin is possibly the spring holder for a rotating tensioner

Attachments

• P1190970.JPG
    P1190970.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 128
  • P1190971.JPG
    P1190971.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 108
  • P1190972.JPG
    P1190972.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 127
It sounds like you are describing the pin and tapped hole used to mount the belt guard for the motor/CS. It was an option.
A picture would help.
Ted

BTW: I know of no spring loaded belt tensioner supplied by SBL for the motor/CS pulley

Here is a link to a guard for sale on eBay.

Nice Original South Bend 9" 10K Lathe Countershaft Cover Safety Guard VGB00N | eBay

This guard fits on that boss with one screw and that pin. You can even see the outline of the guard on your boss.:scratchchin:
Ted

Back