Does anyone know of a backing plate casting for a 13" SBL w/ 1-7/8x8tpi spindle?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Does anyone know of a backing plate casting for a 13" SBL w/ 1-7/8x8tpi spindle?

I am not looking for a threaded plate but a casting that I can machine to fit my spindle. I need an 8"+ diameter casting with a small hole or no hole..Everything I am seeing is a hole of 1.88" which doesn't help my application...I have been told to buy an 8.25"x 2.25" round..has anyone seen the price of CAST IRON round lately! Thank you...IOMF

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the time what I am about to say is a bad idea but sometimes it works out fine. Bell bar weights are made of cast iron, usually they have hard spots and can't be machined easily but sometimes they machine nicely and can be made into a good back plate or face plate. At yard sales they can be picked up cheaply. Good luck!

3. Likes Kevin T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What in the world on a 13 requires an 8" backplate? Granted, I just saw advertised some import chucks with the bolt holes way out on the perimeter of the chuck, and then thought, "why did they do that? That would take a stoopid big backplate." Most chucks are not like that. In fact, I'd never seen that before.
    I've got an 8" 4 jaw and a couple of 6" three jaws, which was std. sizes for the 13. On all of them the backplate sits in a recess on the back of the chuck, so they are much smaller in dia. than the chuck body.
    Can you post a photo of the chuck, or whatever it is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that is what is required, well, this *might* work. 1.75 is going to be about minor diameter for your thread.

RDX Back Plate for 11" Lathes

Edit - when ordering from these folks, *call* and make sure they have it in stock before you order. Don't trust "in stock" on the web page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the 1-1/2-8 backplates from Shars have enough meat to open them up and rethread them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at the back of the 4-Jaw chuck and the recessed area where the plate will mount is 7" the hole pattern is 4", that makes a bit more sense! Thank you.

8. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another source of CI is old pump shaft couplings from industrial pumps.The pump side of it will have the smaller bore.Beware of double setscrews when retrieving one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used one of these on a buck 6 jaw that I picked up pretty cheap. It took a lot of machining, and I imagine many might throw a fit that I put a 7" chuck on a 10k, but works really well...

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...SABEgL0LvD_BwE