What's new
What's new

Does anyone want this stuff?

wayneh

Plastic
Greetings: Several years ago I bought a used South Bend Lathe from a guy who used it as a wood turning lathe. It took me forever to get the sawdust oil mess out.... But, the person who owned this lathe before him was clearly a real machinist/tool maker from a long time ago. I'm not... I use some high speed steel, but mostly carbide. I'm a novice. Much of the tooling that came with this lathe I have no use for. I started loading it up to take it to the dump today, but decided to post it on here to see if anyone could use any of this stuff. There is a bunch of HSS tooling, a bit of old carbide tooling (not sure they knew how to use it..) and several lathe things that were clearly painted grey at one time, probably cost a small fortune, but are of no value to me.

So here is the deal. This stuff will go to the dump Monday 16 December if there are no takers. If any of this stuff is worth anything make me an offer. Assuming it is not, if you want it and live near Maryland 21035 please come and get it for free. (assuming nobody offers me a pile of money for it). If nobody offers me a pile of money and you want it for free, I'll put it in a USPS priority mail box and ship it to you. But you get to pay the shipping. This one big thing may not fit in a priority mail box. So here I hope are pictures. Please send me an email at [email protected] and we'll figure something out.

Oh yea, sorry if you don't live in the USA... but I won't give you my CC number and ship it to your bro in Lagos.....

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_095337.jpg
    IMG_20191213_095337.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_20191213_095405.jpg
    IMG_20191213_095405.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_20191213_095420.jpg
    IMG_20191213_095420.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 516
Not sure what it was used for on the SB lathe but I could use the part in the second and third photo on the bottom left.

Let me know how much.
Thanks
Andy

Guys: The first one to respond with a 20 dollar bill in his hand was Naegle. I hope you will use this and I don't see this stuff at Hershey or Carlisle shows in PA next year....

I believe this lathe is called a 10 heavy. For sure it is heavy.... It looks like the home made thing will get melted down and become part of somebodies new prius.

Wayne

Attachments

• South Bend Lathe Serial number build sheet.JPG
    South Bend Lathe Serial number build sheet.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 153
In the third picture, you might someday want the threading stop shown in the middle, on the bottom. If, of course, it fits your cross slide dovetail.

In the third picture, you might someday want the threading stop shown in the middle, on the bottom. If, of course, it fits your cross slide dovetail.

Correct, if it fits your dovetail you will want it someday.
If not, I do, and will gladly pay the postage. :)

Well thank you for the lesson. You made me run (well, maybe walk fast) back to the shop and look at it. And search what good it might be. It fits the dovetail for the 90 degree feed, but it's too big for the adjustable cross feed I set to 30 degrees for cutting threads. At first I got all excited because I thought there was a way to automatically disengage the drive gear when you are at the end of a thread cut without crashing into the chuck if you fall asleep when cutting threads. These are 3/4" fine thread bolts which are actually used for pulling the fan on a Little wonder Leaf blower. I made because I'm in the learning process, especially when it comes to machining the hex heads. I ended up going back to tenth grade math to figure the numbers on that... SOHCAHTOA....

What I really wish is to know exactly how much to turn the cross feed slide to achieve the correct thread depth. As best I can tell you turn it a bit at a time until the threads are right.... Seems to work just fine, but there must be some math or science involved since we have the measurements of the threads....

Wayne

Attachments

• bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 123
ahh, ok, so instead of me backing off and returning the cross slide to zero at the end of each cut, I could just back off the cross slide a turn or two, return to start, then turn it in until it stops for each progressive cut. I probably didn't say that right, but I think I get it.

ahh, ok, so instead of me backing off and returning the cross slide to zero at the end of each cut, I could just back off the cross slide a turn or two, return to start, then turn it in until it stops for each progressive cut. I probably didn't say that right, but I think I get it.

Well, it's often called a threading stop, but it's really a cross slide stop that can let you make consistent final cuts at a particular depth of cut. Whenever you're making more than one of anything on a manual lathe, stuff like this can be handy for repeatability without too much finicky adjustment. Same goes for carriage stops. Get the dimension right, snug it down, test, rinse and repeat until consistent, make a bunch-O-parts faster. Especially if you don't have a DRO. I made one for my SB, but have not yet gotten around to doing that for my (newish-to-me) Nardini because I have this fantasy that The Boss will let me get a 2-dimensional DRO for it someday and I have other things to do for that machine before I get to making it.

Back