What's new
What's new

Drawing for "generic" type steady rest?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Been unable to locate a steady for an 11" swing lathe (Sheldon, similar to SB style), I'm thinking that with a shop drawing for a simple style rest I might be able to have these parts cut by a steel fab shop with a waterjet; I could weld together.
Hopefully end up with a crude but effective rest.

Is anyone aware of such a plan/drawing that might be available?

There are a few videos on Youtube ( Keith Fenner did a well documented series on his build "the million dollar steady rest") of guys building them but I'm not aware of any prints. most guys just get something cheap off of ebay and modify to fit. maybe even one on there for your lathe. A good steady is usually cast and very heavy for size. the steadies for my American pacemaker 15" swing weigh nearly 80 lbs. by the time you invest in the materials and pay another shop to cut it out you'll be in pretty deep on the cost. If you go light you will regret it (not a fond memory) if you just want to build it for fun go ahead, nothing wrong with trying, but if it's for heavy use I'd search hard first, it takes a lot of work to build a decent one.

Apparently folks fab them up all the time. Here is a sturdy one with its cast brother. I imagine there was no drawing - just a DO IT type activity. All it has to do is work.

Attachments

• Nice Fabbed Steady on LS 22.jpg
    Nice Fabbed Steady on LS 22.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 299
You might consider the MLA-9 casting kit from Metal Lathe Accessories from which you can build your own. I bought one and fitted it to my 13" Colchester Student Mk 1.5 and it works quite well.

Steady Rest (MLA-9)

I've attached a couple of photos of the finished rest.

MLA-9-1.jpg

MLA-9-2.jpg

Generic Steady Rest

I have a SB Heavy 10 which I have a steady rest for. I also have a Clausing 12 inch lathe that I do not have a steady rest for. I keep my eye on ebay to see if anything will work but have not found anything at this time. I too am interested in making or adapting a steady rest. The state college central site is no longer active. If anyone has any contact information I would appreciate it.

All the best.

Taildragger

From over 102 years ago - I'll guess for a grinding machine. Might give some ideas, and the changes made to suit your machine and situation are unlimited. Extracted from a book with a 1924 copyright

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Assy.jpg
    Assy.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 296

Back