What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 taper attachment

Daughty

Aluminum
Alright guys, looking for some answers. My heavy 10 currently doesn't have a taper attachment but I'm wanting to add one. I have a shorter cross slide screw. I have seen taper attachments without the longer cross slide screw and I've seen some with the longer ones. Is there any really difference in having it either way?

I believe it depends more on the taper attachment, I repaired my dad's a couple of years ago. As I recall it had a long screw ( lots of damage, came from the military WWII surplus)his had the screw reach all of the way to the taper sliding block. it depends on how the attachment actually attaches to the screw. The attachment has to disconnect the end of the screw from it's fixed position during tapering operations, and re lock it during straight turning. most of the information on these lathes is available on vintagemachinery.org

It depends on if you have a telescopic Screw or not. The telescopic screw is two pieces the first being a short section with the power cross feed gear cut on it and an internal bore with a key. This is the section that your dials and ball crank affix to. The second part is the actual screw. For a telescoping screw this section is a long threaded portion with a shoulder in the middle then a long untreated portion with (in your case) a 5/16-18 thread capping it off on the end. The unthreaded portion rides in a sleeve on the taper attachment which moves towards or away from the operator when in use. This is by far more common than the non telescopic screw, personally aside from the 9” and 10K lathes (these don’t have a telescopic screw) I’ve never seen the non telescoping style before. I’m not sure if they’re different from the standard screw a machine without a taper would use or not.

But you can say with almost 100% certainty, that in order to add a taper to your Heavy 10” you’ll need a different feed screw to make it work. If you’re interested I make replacement screws for a bunch of different south bend lathes. I even offer a kit to add a taper to your machine along with the 13" and 16" machines. Shoot me a DM if you wanna know more.

This is a kit for adding a taper to a heavy 10 that I made for someone else about a month ago.

IMG_0874.jpg

I have seen taper attachments without the longer cross slide screw and I've seen some with the longer ones.

AFAIK, the Heavy 10 only had the longer cross slide screw when delivered with a taper attachment. The standard CS screw is just too short to engage the taper attachment. What you might be remembering is a TA for a 9" machine, which engages the TA differently from the H10.

Back