What's new
What's new

DRO on Heavy 10 with Taper Attach

Golts Machinist

Plastic
Greetings from the swampy wilds of the Eastern Shore of MD.

New to the group, but not new to either machining or SB lathes, (I have a 16" and a 9")

However:

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I wonder if anyone there would care to share some ideas / photos of how they did (or would) go about mounting a DRO on a Heavy 10 with taper attachment.

I have a Newall on my Heavy 10 with a taper attachment, Pretty straight forward to install. It works great.

John

Pictures

Would you have any pictures showing how you connected to the cross slide?

I have ideas, but am not vain enough to think that my ideas are always the best (or only) way to do something.

DRO with taper attach

Here is how I did it

I removed the taper attachment 'tail' casting and made a rectangular block
to replace it. I mounted the dro scale there, rather than in the 'usual' place between the ways, which gets in the way of the tailstock and follower rest.

I also made a drilling jig to drill, spot face and tap the bed casting in 3 places to mount the Z axis dro on stand-offs. It is just a V-block with bushings / tool extenders for each tool. I used a wood parallel clamp to hold the block in place since it gave more 'stiction' than a metal c-clamp. v-block positioning was done with ground plates (not shown).

crossslidedro-1.jpg

spotfacing.jpg

MOUNTPREPTOOLS.jpg

SCALECLOSEUPS.jpg

Note:

In the pictures, I have removed much of the taper attachment and the chip guards for the scales so that you can see what is actually going on.

My SB Heavy 10 Installation

Here are pictures of my installation of a DRO on my SB Heavy 10. The key part was adding a rectangular piece in the cross side so I would have a flat area to mount the DRO.

Bill

Attachments

• DRO1.jpg
    DRO1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,573
  • DRO2.jpg
    DRO2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,196
  • DRO3.jpg
    DRO3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,233
  • DRO4.jpg
    DRO4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • SB4.jpg
    SB4.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,435
drill jig

I spent more time thinking about it than using it (usually the case in my world).

now that I am done with it, will be relegated to a box on the shelf until I get another lathe (doubtful).

I spent more time thinking about it than using it (usually the case in my world).

now that I am done with it, will be relegated to a box on the shelf until I get another lathe (doubtful).

This thread just sealed it for me. A heavy Ten in my future. Now All I need is to convince my Wife I need to build a work shop.

Because they used a free photo storage site to host the pictures and then the site decided it wasn't free anymore. A ton of threads all over the web got hosed by this.

Back