What's new
What's new

Early 60s SB model a 9 - getting it back in service...

Sethmark

Plastic
Hello all.
I recently acquired a early 60s Model a 9. I’d like to work on getting it up and running ASAP, with my immediate desire being drilling and tapping. The questions that I have are regarding the Chuck and the motor. In particular, I would like to get a 3 jaw for it and need to know what fits the spindle.... and would like to replace the motor with a new single phase unit. Advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. Also, am I correct in assuming that the AXA quick change to post is correct for this machine?
BBD3189C-BC78-4828-A9D6-4FEABEDB302D.jpg

7DEB8A5F-93E1-44D4-A5DC-13AA14EC1944.jpg

EB73588B-8990-46C5-BF14-B32058F406CC.jpg

0661E3DD-53EC-4BBA-A3DD-F375773BE3B4.jpg

Spindle size would be 1 1/2-8.
The AXA is the right size.
You can do more accurate work with the 4 jaw you have rather than a 3 jaw. And since you have the collet closer, a set of collets will be even better for small work.

9A Motor Options

.... and would like to replace the motor with a new single phase unit. Advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Check out these informative PM threads:

Biggest motor you'd put on a 9A?

Baldor motor

Personally, I have a Baldor 1/2HP single phase on my 1956 9A, but it's not an under-cabinet mount. Lots of choices/prices out there.
Stay with the 1725 RPM variety. There used to be a time when you could get the original rebuilt, but I'll be damned if I can
find a place in Houston anymore....too expensive. Unless the wiring is shot in your original, you probably only need to replace the bearings.
But yeah, I'd opt for a new motor too. Just be sure of the shaft size and if it's reversible.
You will probably need to make an adapter plate or drill some different holes to mount it.
But what do I know.

I assume you are in too big of a hurry to break down the machine and replace oil wicks, so be sure to oil the hell
outta it before you start!
Southbend Lathe Oiling and Cleaning - YouTube

View attachment 303641

I assume you are in too big of a hurry to break down the machine and replace oil wicks, so be sure to oil the hell outta it before you start!

"If you don't have the time to do it right now, whenever are you going to find the time to do it right later?"

If your wicks are shot, no amount of oil is going to get where it needs to go. If you DON'T know the machine's history, then assume that it has never been re-wicked and do the re-wick job FIRST.

"If you don't have the time to do it right now, whenever are you going to find the time to do it right later?"

If your wicks are shot, no amount of oil is going to get where it needs to go. If you DON'T know the machine's history, then assume that it has never been re-wicked and do the re-wick job FIRST.

Absolutely! Respect the machine and it may return the favor.

View attachment 303750

Ditto on the teardown and re-wicking.

Is the existing motor single phase, and no good? If it's 3-phase and functional, it can be easily and inexpensively run off a single phase inverter like the Teco L510. 3-phase motors are superior to begin with- and you get many other advantages with the inverter as well.

Back