What's new
What's new

Engraving South Bend Feed Dials

Those are pretty dials , neat machine
Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's very cool, nice work. I'd be interested on some basic info on your machine (hardware, spindle, bits etc), as I'm sure others would--unless it's a "trade secret". Thanks, Cheers.

No secret stuff 😆
3 off the shelf Parker 404XR precision slides with limits, 1.3um repeatiblity. Parker Z mount with shop made riser block. Rhino made military spec B axis. Noga mist coolant. Rover CNC spindle mount. 3KW liquid cooled 3ph spindle, 24,000 rpm. Vital Systems Hicon Intregra motion controller with 4 GeckoDrive G214 stepper drivers. The main power supply for the motors is from Synder Electric 48v. All the relays, filters, pilot power, ect I did myself sourced mainly from digit-Key. The wiring is military spec shielded armored vehicle wire. The solid carbide bits are .010 30 degree two flute in ER20 collets. It runs like a finely oiled machine with that sweet repeating sound.
Steve

Now I can make Alan's 10L dial kit...lol
Yes, I'm doing both the large dial for the 10L and his Junior, :) I'm just slowed down a bit. I finished the Junior handle shaft and a mock up
of the Mount bushing. I'm Finishing up this weekend on the NK Kits. Alan I have another version on the Instruction set with your Junior measurements, email me a mailing address again.

Excellent, Steve! Did you have any challenge finding a good graduation number font match to use for the toolpath?

A two year challenge Tom, but I found them...lol
I made them larger, but they really do match.
They rolled them on I believe, I used 5 passes to get them .014 so they would mark really well. The sharp numbers and lines, believe it or not, is how the come out after the last finish cut....3,3,3,3,2
I found a super cheap secret weapon at Walmart this last week and got to try it out last night, I marked the dial with two coats of my secret

black ink, that's with a hot dial, waited 5 mins, and used the secret eraser under 110 degree water and all the excess paint came right off.
total time 8 mins...I was shocked, but very happy.

In the video I have the feeds running pretty slow to show the marking, when those and the rapids are turned up, it will run one in about 28 mins.

Steve

Nice, are you going to do small dials as well? I have a 9" Jr.

They look great!

Rocco

Rocco, After I get Alan's Junior made, I'll make you a large dial conversion for it, I still owe you some work, from a few years ago :)

Steve

A two year challenge Tom, but I found them...lol
I made them larger, but they really do match.
They rolled them on I believe, I used 5 passes to get them .014 so they would mark really well. The sharp numbers and lines, believe it or not, is how the come out after the last finish cut....3,3,3,3,2
I found a super cheap secret weapon at Walmart this last week and got to try it out last night, I marked the dial with two coats of my secret

black ink, that's with a hot dial, waited 5 mins, and used the secret eraser under 110 degree water and all the excess paint came right off.
total time 8 mins...I was shocked, but very happy.

In the video I have the feeds running pretty slow to show the marking, when those and the rapids are turned up, it will run one in about 28 mins.

Steve

Outstanding! The slow initial interest in the reproduction etched tags and builder’s plates I do has really taken off to the point I had to set up a web page to funnel all the inquiries. The biggest challenge I have is finding fonts to match the old vintage designs. I’m getting faster at recreating the really hard to find text manually with Bézier curves to get usable etching masks.

Thanks again, Steve, well done!

Back