What's new
What's new

9" Model 415 Half-nut Lever Removal

gzig5

Hot Rolled
I'm almost complete in tearing down and cleaning up a 1940 model 415. Machine is in surprisingly good shape with a lot of the scraping remaining and minimal backlash. Spindle and bearings are perfect. I've had to drill out a couple of taper pins, but now I'm down to removing the half-nut lever from the apron. There is a spring loaded plunger through the apron that must ride in a groove to retain the handle. I have removed the set screw and spring, but the pin won't come out and the handle won't release. Seems to be a little witness window in the front where I can see the pin but can't make it move using a scribe. Tried tapping the apron with a hammer, but no-go. It is soaking in Kroil at the moment. Any words of wisdom? Is the pin cylindrical or tapered on the end? I'd really like to get it out in order to properly clean and paint everything.

Got it. Used a center punch through the witness hole to prick the pin and pry it upward. Just a bunch of dried gunk holding it in. Dressed the pin with a file and it should go back in fine.

Back