What's new
What's new

feed change lever

RRR

Plastic
purchased a used complete apron on # bay for parts for my wore out 53 10L ,decided to use the newly purchased apron as it shows very little if any wear at all on half nuts , gears, and bushings ect: . On the bench after engaging the half nuts (half nut lever up ) the feed change lever refuses to moved up ? on closer inspection I found that the lock plunger arm is still engaged with the idler gear shifter and therefore locking the shifter ? I have made several attempts to adjust the lock plunger arm on the lock plunger (rod) note that the handle to the half nut lever was previously broken in half and re-welded ,which would lead me to believe that this has been a problem prior to the purchase ( sure the e-bay hounds on board seen it ,lol ). If I adjust/ move the arm on the plunger towards the half nuts I can get the lever to move up but then loose the lock out feature when the lever is in cross feed position (down ) I did remove the half nuts and plunger to examine the engagement surface of the plunger arm and it shows very little wear ,also I did find the the countersink on the lock plunger rod is a bit wallered out ,but the set screw seems to lock down tight . when the feed change lever is raised up does the idler gear shifter impose a caming action onto the lock plunger arm and push it out of the way a bit to allow the change lever to move up or should there be no engagement between the idler gear shifter and the plunger arm ? I have not removed the idler gear shifter for examination (yet) as the condition of the felts and internals are excellent and was hoping to just do a clean up and paint on the exterior ,as opposed to a complete tear down ,. Ray

If i'm reading you correctly, its operating correctly. With half nuts engaged, the lever in the middle of apron must be in center position, you'll be locked out from trying to go up or down. Like wise if that handle is up or down, you are locked out from engaging half nuts.

well that answers that ,.wasn't sure about the lock out on the longitudinal (up )position , trying to get the 53 up and running ,thanks Mr Smith

Back