What's new
What's new

Feed worm and wheel-washer?

TedinNorfolk

Stainless
Got apron down on my 1940,s 16" SB,for a good clean and check. After getting the worm out,I could withdraw the wormwheel. After this came out,there was a large washer with teeth on the rim the other side of the boss. It wasn't doing anything-if I put it between the boss and the wormwheel it moves the wormwheel outwards,making it tight in mesh. I'm thus inclined to leave it out because it doesn't appear to be any use. What say you?

Sir, Would you be so kind as to measure and post the 3 dimensions of said washer? Mine is missing and I'd like to install one while I'm converting my star wheel to a lever. I have it on good authority that the outside perimeter teeth were deemed no longer necessary by the factory and discontinued. Thank you...

hmmm seems a funny oil dipper-and it's a perfect fit on the worm boss. V misleading as it isn't a thrust. I'll put it back loose the far side of the hole. Btw the wormwheel runs in the oil. Be bk later with dimensions of the washer for you.

Ted, Thank you... My exploded parts diagram shows its location between the clutch sleeve and the worm gear. There's a relief cut there, but I don't know if the washer is supposed to be a close fit so it is positively driven by the rotation of the worm gear. I've seen a reference to it being a sloppy fit on the relief cut of the worm gear and supposedly driven by oil film adhesion but just don't know...

Thanks for all your remarks-all reassembled now with the washer in its correct place. Cleaned out the feed clutch too,never thought it was a multi plate-neat. Also found the pinion shaft pin had sheared,so the whole exercise was worth it.

Back