What's new
What's new

A few questions for the experts – Interchange of SB Lathe components

A little background; I am a model maker, or was in a previous life, I have had my Heavy 10L (1943) for about 35 years and in 1990 I sent the bed out to be re-ground ( but not scraped,at the time I though scraping was just ornamental) by South Bend and purchased a new tailstock base. I have recently had to move the machine and dismantled it to do that. I decided to do a bit of painting , Re-felting and cleaning etc... Along the way I have purchased a number of things on ebay; Headstock with bronze bearing instead of the solid CI bearing headstock from 1943, Newer single tumbler QCGB ( 101 vs 100), D1-4 spindle for the aforementioned headstock. Turret tailstock.

So my questions (mostly about interchange)for the experts here are:

A- The work tag on the bed for the re-grinding job says:
Stock removed
G.S. .028
R.S. .025

I probably knew what R.S. and G.S meant in 1990 but can’t remember, any ideas?

B- Am I being foolish thinking the headstock center height will be the same on both Headstocks? I don’t see any ability to tune the heights, but also wonder how every tailstock /headstock could be made a t the same height.

C- What about interchanging the QCGB? They are both single tumbler designs, one is marked 100 the newer one is marked 101, the only visual differences are the Oil Ports for the brass tube ( the 100 is on the front without Gits Cap, The 101 is on the right side with a Gits cap) and the bearings on the left side seem to be mounted slightly differently , and a better tumbler design.

I previously had the 100 Gearbox shimmed down .025” because of the re-grind. The 101 gearbox seems to want to be shimmed down .066”. when i installed the 101 gearbox shimmed at .025” the leadscrew would lock up when the carriage was moved to left ( headstock) but was nice and free when at the right ( tailstock). I have played around with dial indicators on the leadscrew and determined .066” is about right vertically, but front to rear I still have a little misalignment. I can turn the gear box/leadscrew by hand easily at the input gear except with the carriage in the region about 1” to 1-1/2” from the headstock alignment pin ( I have the headstock off at the moment) Even in this region I can still turn by hand it just doesn’t overrun like when the carriage is away from the headstock end (it stops turning immediately)

D- If I were to try and get some front to rear adjustment of the gearbox how would I/You do it?

E- Do you think the ebay D1-4 spindle into the ebay headstock will work?

Does anyone have any experience with the interchange of these type assemblies?

Thanks,
Bob

Back