What's new
What's new

Finally have the 1931 South Bend 9 inch Junior lathe assembled.

catpal

Plastic
Finally have my 50.00 lathe together that I purchased all apart.
Am pretty happy as the spindle bearings are good,Have them set now with .001 clearance. Had to get a motor,belts and a pulley. Replaced the bull gear, everything else seems good after a good cleaning. Has some collets and a handwheel collet closer.Did get a set of gears with it. There is also a 3 jaw chuck,but I have not cleaned or checked it yet. It was fun putting it all back together, Hope to cut some steel soon. Seems pretty well made for a small lathe. Thanks to all who answered my questions.

what not 065.jpgwhat not 067.jpgwhat not 071.jpgwhat not 069.jpgwhat not 068.jpg

She looks great. You did a fine looking job.

Thanks, it was in pretty good shape under all the grime, the cones had some thick tar like like stuff on them, maybe some sort of belt dressing?

I'm glad you didn't paint it, the existing patina is perfect. The mailbox drive is cool (and pretty rare) too.

allan
Thanks for your reply, Since it had not been repainted, I figured I would just clean the old paint up, I like the old look anyway. The drive is very heavily constructed. Originally the motor drive belt was fitted through a hole in the bench top,with the motor below, I believe, but a previous owner added a longer shaft for the outside pulley,so I left it that way.

Looks great.can't wait to get mine back together.if I didn't work so much it would be done in no time.

9 inch junior

You did a great job on this lathe!

All the best, Edgar

Thank you Edgar, I never thought I would be able to get a lathe in my basement, It has a dirt floor and was pretty damp, I trowled mortar over the wall and it's dry now.Just enough room for the bench and lathe.

Back