What's new
What's new

First Pattern 9C Underdrive Rebuild Thread

Brian66

Plastic
I'm attempting to rebuild my first lathe a first pattern 9C with the underdrive motor mount and will use this thread to document my progress. It seems in good condition but is missing the change gears (I bought a set off Craigslist and it should be delivered next week) and a few other parts. It will be a working lathe used to teach myself the art of turning metal. I have some experience restoring old cars but not machines of this nature so if I'm doing anything wrong or you have suggestions please feel free to chime in on this thread. The first thing is to identify and replace obviously missing parts, next will be to disassemble the lathe and rebuild each system one at a time in order not to get overwelmed. Finally I'll make it look pretty.

Yesterday, I disassembled the underdrive unit and motor mount. I also fabricated a little cover for the switch since it was missing. Does anyone know a source for the labels and tags for these machines? I think the switch cover had a external tag and possibly a sticker inside demonstrating the wiring??

Is the large pulley and drive stepped pulleys pressed on the shaft? I removed the shaft collar and the set screws on the stepped pulley as well as the roll pin in the large drive pulley but they appear to be pressed on as they won't readily move. Any suggestions?

underdrive pulley2.jpghandle and mount.jpgswitch cover.jpg

Back