What's new
What's new

First SB lathe

mwill135

Aluminum
Hello all got my first SB lathe and am in the process of cleaning up/restoring. Model A 9in. Above average condition. Needs a little work. I will have many questions in the days to come so please forgive me. I'd like to kick things off with a question about the grease caps on the rear pulleys. Missing one, are these hard to come by? Not sure if there is any easy fix, if they are available or if I am out of luck. Nice to meet all of you, I look forward to many good reads on the site.

There are no grease caps on the pulleys. I think you mean you are missing a top to one of your Git oilers. They are still available, in both press in and threaded.

Next time, post a picture of what you are referring to.

think this is what you are looking for, If so just log onto McMaster Carr then type in the search bar oilers.
Chet

oiler mc-carr.png

Well my bad. I think the rear pulley assembly is not a SB. Shame on me. Well l’m new. So either I keep the set up or replace with SB. I am just starting out and was trying to keep cost down. Anyone able to tell me how to post a pic so you all can see it?

1st and third photo in post 8 are of a grease "cup", not "cap". I made a bunch of these for a guy that had a 1912 Pierce Arrow automobile.
You fill it up w/ grease, put it on, and give it a twist once in a while to push more grease into the bearing. I've also seen them on 1940's Atlas drill presses. If one of these won't do ya, keep looking, or I can tell you how I make them. A better search term is "screw down grease cup".

Steel Grease Cups - United States

Alright here are some more pics. I need to figure out what is the correct counter shaft set up for my lathe. Please reply with pics or thoughts. Thanks

029087D4-804C-404F-98AA-EBC80AA6D3A1.jpg

198CAC4B-1DEE-4EC3-A09E-EE5D2892156F.jpg

405B5A02-4D1F-47E6-B195-40134C4435DB.jpg

I apologize what is a QCGB plate? Is that the catalog number?

Quick change gear box. When you say “1st sb lathe” and “just starting out” do you mean new to metal working/ lathes or just new to southbend? I think The qctp plate SLK001 was referring to is the red/brass plate That states your screw settings but I’m not sure. If your new to lathes then you might want to google research the major components and names for your lathe, it’ll help you communicate greatly. Smaller and older lathes generally physically had extra loose sets of gears that usually were stored somewhere inconvenient out of reach or lost from my understanding, so in order to change the speed of your carriage and screw thread pitch you had to open the machine and swap gears, your 10k has a qcgb so you can kinda shift it like a car instead of taking anything apart. welcome to PM

Back